Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

Has there been any movement on this issue?  My client used Handheld Contact for a bit and it destroyed his Android contacts by merging them with contacts that it shouldn't have so we fixed the issue and removed Handheld Contact.  We're now looking at Companion Link and as a vendor they are not responsive.  There's a MASSIVE hole in the offering here that needs to be addressed.  Your advertising and documentation say that you support Office 365.  We purchased Act! 18 under this assumption and came to find out you only support non-Click to Run versions.  That'd be fine if Microsoft sold stand alone versions of Office 2016 to small businesses anymore. 

As it stands Office 365 in its current form is not compatible with Act! 18.  Please advise instead of leaving your community in the dark.

Thanks

Derek

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi All,

I've requested an update on this from our Product Management team. This thread will be updated once we have more info to share.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thank you. The issue is that important. I appreciate it.
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Derek,

To be fair, Swiftpage state that Office 365 is supported and also that it is not supported, they have all bases covered  Smiley Happy 

Refer here:  http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767/kw/matrix 

Which reads "Only locally installed versions of Office 365 are supported. The web version is not supported."  

Then refer to here: https://www.act.com/products/system/v18/premium 

Right down the bottom in fine print;  "Office 365 and Click to Run versions of Microsoft® Office are not supported.". 

Confused? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Yes because the "Install Office" button on the Office 365 home page for versions of O365 with desktop office rights is a locally installed version of Office. I get that it doesn't work with the Web versions. To the end user, the Click to Run and "full" install look, act, feel and respond exactly the same way. So much so, that Microsoft has long since removed the "full" versions from all existing Office 365 licenses. The only way to get the "full" version is to open a volume license agreement and buy Software Assurance or buy individual copies at Walmart, Target, etc, etc. I'm not even sure that the retail boxes are "full" install versions. So if Swiftpage can't figure out the solution, they at least need to come forth with the admission that from here on out Act! is forever incompatible with Office 365. As it stands, Office 2013 versions of O365 were the last versions of the service that offered a locally installable version of office that meet's Act! requirements. Too bad, there's exactly zero downgrade rights for any current subscriber.

Bottom line is Microsoft no longer offers a version of Office 365 that is compatible with Act!
Obtaining a version of Office 2016 that is compatible is prohibitively expensive for Act! users because to them, they will not understand why the Office they installed on their machine that they purchased with Office 365 doesn't work with Act!. Why pay for O365, ignore the locally installable Office and then pay $700 a seat for a volume license just to meet Act! requirements?

My customers are confused; me not so much. This is a huge shortcoming of Swiftpage in product offering, advertising and knowledge base content. Frankly, it's a mess and misleading all at the same time.
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Agreed.

What is clear is that Microsoft have been using subtle techniques to 'persuade' their non-corporate customers to accept that Office will only be delivered by subscription as time goes on. Their corporate customers they are less inclined to ruffle the feathers of...for now.  To be fair to Swiftpage, they are somewhat caught by this, which is not to say they shouldn't have kept on top of this given the high reliance of Act! on integration with Office. In my own view they should have planned much earlier to provide substantial integration with Google as an alternative, as well as keep on top of changes with Office 365. Importantly they should have kept their customers informed. That hasn't happened.      

Graeme Leo

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Kressilac, Handheld Contact uses a separate app and has no need to touch any of the contacts in your default address book.
Highlighted

Hello all,

A customer of mine asked me to see if I could find a solution to get Act! 18 to work with Office 365.

With a little trick I could install Office2016 without Click To Run and got this combination to work.

1. Download the Office 2016 Deployment Tool from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117 
    More info on this tool: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219422.aspx

2. After you installed the Deployment Tool (e.g. in C:\DeploymentTool\) you find the file "configuration.xml" in that directory.
    In my case I altered this file into:
    <Configuration>
       <Add SourcePath=“C:\DeploymentTool\Office" OfficeClientEdition="32">
          <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail" >
             <Language ID=“nl-NL" />
          </Product>
       </Add>
    </Configuration>

3. I changed the Language ID to nl-NL because my client uses the Dutch version of Office 2016.

4. I started a command-shell by running cmd.exe <ENTER>

5. In the command-shell goto the directory where the Deployment Tool is installed, in my case I entered: cd C:\DeploymentTool <ENTER>

6. Then I ran the command setup.exe /download configuration.xml <ENTER>

7. Wait while the installation files are downloaded.

8. Then I ran the command setup.exe /configure config.xml <ENTER>

After another wait, Office 2016 was installed without Click to Run and Act! 18 worked fine with Word.

!! Important note: Although Act! starts Word when merging a proposal for example, Word doesn't get the foreground focus, but it stays in the background. When clicking on Word in the task bar it will appear.

I can't give any guarantees but I hope this helps until Act! has made changes so it will work 100% using Office365.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Your post is almost 3 months old.  Therefore, the powers that be at SwiftPage have had 3 months to develop a solution.

What is it?

As a new user of ACT!, I feel that SwiftPage is guilty of misrepresentation on its website about ACT's compatibility with Outlook.

In my business, I would be jailed and fined out of existence for such misrepresentation to my clients.  Such is not the case with software companies.  They can overtly lie to prospective customers, steal their money and then tell them why it is A-OK Fine, Peachy Keen and Hunky Dory that their software does not work as represented, pre-sale.  They will then follow up and tell their customer why the customer should have reasonably known themselves that its representations were fraudulent, and the customer should have known that, pre-sale.

SwiftPage customer service let me know, in no uncertain terms, how wrong I was in my due diligence of ACT! on this matter, post sale.  This small business owner is to have had a high level of technical competence and the necessary ESP as to navigate around on the ACT Community as to ascertain that click to run is not supported.

My concern is that I have bought an old dog of a CRM.  Office 365 has been out since 2013.  It is the way of the future.  Yet SwiftPage is leisurely addressing this matter, if at all.  Competitors to SwiftPage do not have this problem.  Third party integrators to ACT, and endorsed by SwiftPage, integrate ACT and their software with click to run Office 365, yet SwifPage has made a decision not to do anything as of 12/17/2016.

You want to know how American businesses die?  Their customers abandon them.  (Ask Yahoo, AOL, Blackberry, Sears)

When will the Final Resolution of this issue be presented to the paying customers of ACT?

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Gary,

What is the position on Click-to-run support? 

Graeme Leo