Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

Copper Contributor

Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

Originally posted here but since it is being ignored, I figured it had to do with the title of the thread so I created a new post.  The issue is the same only Microsoft has changed their delivery methods of new and all future office installations.  It's about time Act! responds to this and releases a product that works with Click to Run.

http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/ACT-2013-Premium-SP1-Office-2013-Click-To-Run-incompatibilit...

Has there been any progress on this?  I have a few clients with Office 365 Business subscriptions. (The 12.50 per month variety)  These subscriptions were updated during the transition to Office 2016 to no longer include stand alone versions of the software.  The problem we have here is that Microsoft no longer sells Office through Office 365 in the manner that Act! requires for contact synchronization to work properly.

Will Act! 19 solve this problem or can we expect 18 - 20 months of non-compatibility until we wait for Act! 20?

The issue is Act! not keeping up with modern Office delivery channels.  Telling your clients to buy Office Standalone for hundreds of dollars ignores a future where Office continues to be sold only as Click to Run and currently forces them to spend hundreds of extra dollars for software they already own through their subscriptions.  The only real solution to this problem is to make Act! work with modern versions of Office 2016 and beyond which includes the click to run versions. 

Please advise.

I would like to add some information to hits post.  The tech support rep at Act! that I spoke with kept referring to the stand alone version as the "complete" version of Office 2016 as if this was an upgrade from the O365 version when in fact it is exactly the opposite.  One cannot use O365 without upgrading their standalone installation of Office 2016 to the version delivered with O365. The following article specifically states this.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Special-o​ffer-for-customers-with-Office-2016-and-Office-20...

So to further clarify my point above, I can tell my customers that they cannot use Office 365 or I can tell them that Act! contact sync with Outlook 2016 is broken.  The support representative at Act! suggested that we get the standalone versions as a solution to the Act! synchronization problem and all that would have done was broke every other Office 365 feature that my clients use. 

Again, please advise so I can tell my clients how to proceed and if they need to look for a different CRM or some third party application that actually works.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

I am running 6 systems with Windows 10, Office 2016 CTR and Act! v18 ... No problems at all. I actually had it working with v17, but it was a little flaky unlike v18

I have also help set up dozens of users with similar configurations.
Copper Contributor

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29499/~/supported-versions-of-microsoft%C2%AE-office-by-ve...

Glad to hear you have it working.  However, that only confuses the problem for me and my clients.  Act! official documentation says that it is not supported.  Act! technical support immediately refers you to Microsoft to "upgrade" your Click to Run installation to a standalone version.  Meanwhile, my client's ActIntegration.exe app crashes during contact sync with Outlook.  Act! technical support refuses to help diagnose the problem.  They won't even tell me where to look for log files because of their official policy on it being not supported.

All I really want is a straight answer and some guidance on how to fix the problem.  Thank you for your reply.  I wish my clients were in the same boat as yours.  Fresh Win10 install, clean Act! 18 install, ActIntegration.exe crashes on contact sync every time.  Just wish I could help them by getting some information on what the ActIntegration.exe black box is actually doing.  Maybe it is something I can fix?  Maybe I can direct them towards a program that will work? At this point I do not know and Act! technical support is unhelpful.

Depends on who you speak to in tech support ...

But,if it's actually crashing, I'd start by looking at the Windows Event logs
Copper Contributor

I looked there.  It wasn't much help.

Application: ACT!.Integration.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 703CD41A

and 

Faulting application name: ACT!.Integration.exe, version: 18.1.103.0, time stamp: 0x5706adaf
Faulting module name: mso30win32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57222bb8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0008d41a
Faulting process id: 0x2fbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1b2b2bc4e14d3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\ACT!.Integration.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso30win32client.dll
Report Id: 209751bb-11fa-422e-b6ce-5254cb476b9e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So I was looking for a log that would show me the exception details to perhaps gain a bit more insight into the problem.  Thanks for all the help.  I appreciate it and as I said, I just need to figure out a solution because buying stand alone versions is not possible for my clients.

mso30win32client is the cause of a great many crashes ...
Usually, it's due to bits of old version of Office that are still on the PC or because of an error during au update of Office.
Have you tried to another update?
Copper Contributor

These were clean installs from the Office 365 web site on clean installs of Windows 10 from an Action Pack subscription.  At this point, I am lost for how to determine where or why the application is failing.  Do you know of an way that I can get ActIntegration.exe to generate a log file where I could see the real exception instead of the generic exception being logged to the event log?  I guess I could pull up Visual Studio and use a decompiler on the assembly to try and get information as to why the code crashes.

Would prefer to get someone from the development team at Act! to chime in here and help.  Let's hope that happens next week because as of right now, I have no other solution without buying additional products that may or may not work with Click to Run applications either.  CompanionLink, 123 Sync....  I guess I have to look at these as well because I cannot get any of the Click to Run installations to work without crashing.  All clean installs of Windows 10 and Office 2016.

Copper Contributor

I'm having a related problem. I have done a clean install of Windows 10 and ran the stand-alone installation file for Office 2016 and my Act Integration fails miserably. It first spits out an error saying "Unable to connect to Outlook" if Outlook is not currently running, and then takes over 3 hours to sync my contacts.

If Outlook is running, it doesn't kick out the error, but again, takes forever to sync - this is not normal behaviour as one of the other machines with the same software works fine. For the amount of money we are spending on the Web Premium version, I would expect a little more from Swiftpage on this. heck, I can't even choose the right font when entering an activity history when using Chrome. The font pull down menu selectors are all messed up.
Employee

Act! R&D is aware of this issue and has raised the issue with Product Mgmt, Many times actually. I have entered a specific defect for the Act! Integration issue you've reported and any additional trace/log information this posting can provide would be useful. 

We are looking at several strategies for replacing the old integration technology as Microsoft phases out the elements used by many to interface with Office applications.

Bob Breeding
Copper Contributor

If there is any way that I can help diagnose this, I'd be glad to. The key for me is to get the issue resolved so that my clients can use the synchronization features completely while still being able to subscribe to modern Microsoft Office subscriptions. Are there places where I can get more information to add to this post? Your response sounds like product management is not taking action on the issue. I'm hoping this is not the case and you'll be able to give us guidance on when the integration issue might be resolved. Thank you for your response. It's good to know that there is at least a bug in the system that may get fixed. Now all I need to know is some sort of roadmap so that I can advise my clients of how to proceed while waiting for a formal solution. Further help is much appreciated.