Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

What at a great question. 

Act! v19.0 will support Office 2010, 2013, and 2016. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and click-to-run desktop versions as well. Web-based Office applications are not supported but we do have a free Act! Premium Outlook LInk app in the Microsoft Store you will want to explore. 

Cheers,

Bob

P.S.  I'm away from email access for a few weeks and may not be able to respond to queries.

Bob Breeding
Bronze Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I need confirmation here that ACT Version 19 will fully support Microsoft Office 365 click to run.

I have ACT! Premium Version 18.2.53.0 Update 4.  I am considering ACT! Premium Cloud.

I have Microsoft Office 365 Version 1610 (Build 7466.2038).

I am keeping Microsoft Office 365 Version 1610 (Build 7466.2038) and all of its subsequent updates/upgrades/enhances/patches/hot fixes/changes/ etc.  Microsoft Office is THE suite of products used by American business with a huge share of the market.  Office 365 is the future.

I am not so sure that I am going to keep ACT! if SwiftPage cannot or will not make ACT! work with Outlook, as represented all over the website with no overt caveats that ACT does not work with click to run Office 365.

I get the following ACT! Address Book error message: The ACT! Address Book service is not properly configured, or the configured database is locked.  Do you want to configure it now?  Yes No

With this error message, Outlook is effectively non-functional until I restart Outlook.  Upon restarting, I get the same error message.  I do reconfigure it.  Outlook starts but the change does not take effect until I shut down Outlook and restart it.  Then ACT and Outlook play nicely, as I fully expect them to, until I get the error message again.  ACT! Integration works beautifully well, which is what I want and need between ACT! and Outlook.

QUESTION:

Will ACT! version 19 ( for Essentials, Premium, Premium Cloud and all other flavors of ACT ), work perfectly well with Microsoft Office 365 Version 1610 (Build 7466.2038) and all subsequent updates/upgrades/enhances/patches/hot fixes/changes/ etc.  such that:

• The following error message will never appear again: ACT! Address Book error message: The ACT! Address Book service is not properly configured, or the configured database is locked.  Do you want to configure it now? 
    • No ACT errors will occur such that SwiftPage conveniently blames Microsoft Office 365 (click to run or some other thing) for the problem and there is no resolution and all of us customers will just have to live with it and don't forget to pay SwiftPage it's monthly subscription for this customer experience

I want ACT! to work.  However Microsoft Outlook 365 click to run has been in the marketplace since 2013.  SwiftPage's competitors have already responded to this fact.  Post-Sale, learning that ACT! is so far behind its competitors on this issue causes me to regret my decision to go with ACT.  I hope my reservations are placated with ACT version 19 because I like ACT more than its competitors but a rock solid integration with Microsoft Office 365 is a requirement.

Copper Elite Contributor

UPDATED: Act! 18 and Office 365 Click to Run installation compatibility.

[ Edited ]

Updated to clarify support for 32/64 bit and Click-to-Run versions of Office - this support starts with v19.

We've been asked to clarify our support for "Microsoft 365". 

As I understand it, Microsoft 365 is the brand name of their subscription service that provides access to Office, Skype, Cloud Drive, upgrades, etc. Our original posting of which versions of Office for Windows that are supported starting in v19, 2010, 2013, and 2016 (32 and 64 bit), would be products available to Microsoft 365 customers. Therefore, Act! 19 will support the current Windows versions of Office provided to Microsoft 365 customers provided they are one of the three releases listed.

Click-to-Run is actually the only easily obtained version of Office 2016 and what we have used in testing. Our statement that we now support Click-to-Run versions of Office 2010, 2013 and 2016 should answer any questions about this support. 

MacOS versions of Office are not supported through Act! Outlook Integration. You may visit the Microsoft Store and download our free Act! Premium Contact Link for Office. This Office Addin supports MacOS and tablet application OWA for Android and iOS. Outlook for Android and iOS do not include support for Addins at the time of this posting so are not supported with Act! Premium Contact Link until Microsoft adds the required support.

I'll mention here that Microsoft has reduced their in-house testing staff and rely increasingly on customer feedback for debugging. We do not recommend beta or pre-release versions of Office applications for primary business use. We have run into situations where these Office versions are unstable or unusable.

Likewise, we do not recommend Windows 10 insider builds for your primary Operating Systems needs on business critical hardware. Again, these builds can be unstable in incompatible with Act! Integration.  

Bob Breeding

I have the same problem almost a year now - Even after buying Office Small Business 2016, I am still having issues with outlook. I'll keep it short and end my post here to avoid spiraling into a rant.

Bob Breeding:

I will need to update from Office 2013 Pro soon.  I prefer to pay for Office as part of my two year old Office 365 subscription and therefore would be implementing a Click-to-Run license.

I see your statement, which is the same as the company position.

Moving to Click-to-Run still seems like an added risk right now.

What I want to know is: are ISVs such as SwiftPage/ACT! receiving better support from Microsoft now for integrating with Click-to-Run?

It seems to me that this would probably require partial re-engineering of Click to Run from what it was when interfacing was (im)possible.

Am I guessing at least sort of correctly?

Once Click-to-Run is re-engineered, it seems to me that it would probably require consistent and occasionally updating documentation from MS that is available to ISV partners.

Am I guessing correctly?

Very truly yours,

Jonathan Handler

Administrator

Hi Jonathan,

This is partly correct. Microsoft updated the Click-to-Run process quite significantly in Office 2013. This gave much better support for third-party add-ons, as the resulting install behaved almost identically to a regular MSI installation of Office.

Prior to Act! v19, Office integration had never been developed, tested or supported with Click-to-Run installations. Following the improvements made in Act! v19 alongside adding 64-bit support for Office, these are now supported platforms.

One word of advice I would offer is to ensure any new Office installations are fully updated. By default, I believe Office 2016 acquired through an Office 365 subscription defaults to a 'deferred' channel for updates. This means updates are available on a less frequent basis, so you may not be benefiting from the latest fixes and improvements. An overview of one of the issues this can cause, along with steps to change the update channel, are available from the Knowledgebase article below:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580

Best regards,

Stuart

Stuart:

Thank you.

That is enough detail for me to try out a click to run version with Business Premium (or maybe something even more expensive)

Very truly yours,

Jonathan Handler

Copper Contributor

Question

I purchased ACT version 18 in mid November, 2016.

ACT version 19 was supposed to be certified with Microsoft Office 365 click to run upon release on January 10, 2017.

Forgive me if I to not speak the languages of information technology and ACT CRM fluently, which are not supposed to be my core competency as I am the targeted small business owner of SwiftPage.  Because of my decision to purchase ACT, I have been forced to learn these languages, rather than actually use ACT as I am forced to resolve the ACT technical failure du jour.

I had nothing but problems, having been assured by the QA department of SwiftPage that ACT version 19 would work with MS Office 365 click to run upon release on January 10, 2017.

In mid-February, after 20 hours of either Level 2 Swiftpage technical support and higher, I was informed that the well known, current build of MS Office 365 click to run had problems not yet resolved by Microsoft.  Further, I was informed, on a recorded line for quality assurance, that this issue had been known for over 3 months, putting Swiftpages' knowledge of this issue back to mid November, approximately 60 days prior to the release of ACT version 19 certified to be compatible with MS Office 365 click to run.

In order to get to this point, my brand new desktop was torn down and rebuild 3 times ( three times) by Swiftpage Technical support, Level 2 or higher) to include uninstalling an reinstalling MS Office 365.

After over 20 hours of this Swiftpage Technical Support purgatory, I was informed that MS Office 365 had to be "rolled back" to a build dating to mid October because the current builds had been known for over 3 months to be problematic and this was the last build known to work with ACT version 19 released January 10, 2017.

Let's be clear here:

• Swiftpage decided to release ACT version 19 stating to us customers that it would work with Office 365 click to run while knowing simultaneously that the last Office 365 click to run build that would run correctly was released mid October 2016.

• 20 hours of not only my time but also Swiftpage technical support, Level 2 or higher, were wasted due to the ignorance of Swiftpage's technical support staff on this issue.

QUESTIONS:

1. How are we targeted small business owner customers expected to stay in business when we have to fight this kind of technical support incompetence and outright misrepresentation by Swiftpage?
  2. What are best practices that we targeted small business owners must adopt as not to risk bankruptcy being forced to endure technical problems that we did not bargain for when we paid Swiftpage our money?

In as much as I am venting, I am serious here.  I am trying to remain a Swiftpage customer but you folks make it darn hard on us.

I've just spent 1.5 additional hours documenting more sync failures with Outlook this AM, having missed 3 revenue generating client appointments due to ACT deleting Activities from both ACT and Outlook.

I suppose using ACT to produce revenue is only a "nice to have" incidental result of having adopted it.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The posted information from respondent princeedwardh alleges that    "In mid-February, after 20 hours of either Level 2 Swiftpage technical support and higher, I was informed that the well known, current build of MS Office 365 click to run had problems not yet resolved by Microsoft.  Further, I was informed, on a recorded line for quality assurance, that this issue had been known for over 3 months, putting Swiftpages' knowledge of this issue back to mid November, approximately 60 days prior to the release of ACT version 19 certified to be compatible with MS Office 365 click to run.". 

If correct, in my view that is a serious breach of faith that warrants an executive response from Swiftpage. What is the executive position on this?   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog