Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 18 Premium Web - Server Failed to Respond to Data Request

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act 18 Premium Web - Server Failed to Respond to Data Request

Hi,

We upgraded to ACT 18 Premium Web, everything is working fine for us but the only thing is, when we log in through the web interface, under contacts, if we choose List View, we get the following message:

Server Failed to Respond to Data Request

Everything else works fine. We have already tried to install hot fix 5, removed anti virus, opened firewall, even when tested on the server itself, we get the same error. We tried to create another web server with the "apfwCreator" but still the same error.

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is we have 13000+  contacts in the DB, and when we choose the list view, there might be a time limit or a limit for the list to be listed, but I cannot find anything that supports this idea.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author montcap
‎03-03-2016 10:50 AM
Administrator

Re: Act 18 Premium Web - Server Failed to Respond to Data Request

[ Edited ]

In this case Steve, I would try replacing the entire APFW folder in Program files with the folder from the installation media.

i.e. Copy C:\Act!_Premium_Web_v18x501\ACTForWeb\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir\APFW

to C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Web\APFW

Ensure permissions aren't an issue by adding everyone to Full Control in order to test. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi there,

When you say you've tested on the server itself, do you mean though the web interface or the locally installed desktop software? Can you list your contacts in the desktop software?
Are you able to view the contacts list in a new database? i.e. the demo DB.
If not, there could be a permissions issue in the IIS virtual directory.

13000+ contacts should not cause any issues. We have users with 150k+ contacts that work just fine.
Copper Contributor

Hi Gary,

I'm running into this same error on a v18.0 HF7 APFW installation.  I have access to one web server, hosted by us, that is turning up this error.  A contact quick search for "Smith", for example, in list view will time out and say The Server Failed to Respond to the Data Request.  Desktop version works smoothly.  

Any ideas?  I've been seeing this error in other APFW installations as well, though I've also seen it working in others.  Hope there is just some easy permissions issue.  This is a clean installation on all fronts on a new server, so there shouldn't be any conflicts with any other applications.

Thanks for any insight you can help with.

Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants
......Stephen Boulden
P: 716.837.5727 x104
E: stephen@twelvethree.com
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I am not onsite everyday.

When I say on the server itself, I mean by opening the web browser and browsing to localhost

The desktop version has no issues, and as mentioned everything else in the web interface works fine, even going to contacts in detailed view is ok, when in contacts detailed view and press on List view, I get this error

Any suggestions for the permissions, where or what I should be checking exactly?

We have an ACT consultant company and they are trying to find a fix, nothing helped yet.

If you could put me on the right track so I can check those permissions, I would appreciate it and try to figure it out.

Administrator

Does the issue occur on the Demo DB, or any other databases?
Copper Contributor

Just tested - yes it is occurring in the ACT2016Demo database as well.  I've also seen other customers with the same issue -- seems like its affecting maybe 50% of the APFW deployments I've worked with recently.

Here is some insight:

When viewing contact list view in APFW, the list fails to load with an error that the "Server failed to respond to data request."  I thought it could be an issue with which columns were being displayed (the default ones).  When you try to customize columns a popup window appears with an error, "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."  The resource in question seems to be http://../APFW/Contacts/ActWebGrid_ASCService.axd/custcol

Maybe if we can fix the customize columns resource, the list view will be working again?  Thanks!  I appreciate the time and help you put into these forums Gary.

......Stephen Boulden
Solution
Accepted by topic author montcap
‎03-03-2016 10:50 AM
Administrator

[ Edited ]

In this case Steve, I would try replacing the entire APFW folder in Program files with the folder from the installation media.

i.e. Copy C:\Act!_Premium_Web_v18x501\ACTForWeb\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir\APFW

to C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Web\APFW

Ensure permissions aren't an issue by adding everyone to Full Control in order to test. 

Copper Contributor

Bummer - I started to get pretty enthusiastic because I did see that there were a few hundred files that were copied that weren't already existing.  Problem persists after a server reboot.

Even with Everyone permissions set to full control, the error remains unchanged.

I can't help but feel at some point we are getting close...

......Stephen Boulden
Administrator

It looks like this might be hard to track down over the forum.
As a last troubleshooting attempt, I would suggest a reinstall of Act.
If the problem persists after this, the issue will need to be escalated though a support call.
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the help. I am actually onsite today, so I stopped iis, copied the folder over and started iis back, and voilà!!, it is working fine now.

Thanks again for the help, it worked for use.

Regards