Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 18.2: Outlook: Act Address Book: Random "do you want to configure it now?"

Copper Contributor

Act 18.2: Outlook: Act Address Book: Random "do you want to configure it now?"

Hi,

I support around 10 users of Act all running v18.2 on Windows 7 with Outlook 2010 SP2.

They all have email integration turned on and I have installed the Act for Web integration. Randomly, when launching Outlook they sometimes get the error "The ACT! Address Book service is not properly configured, or the configured database is locked. Do you want to configure it now?"

OUTLOOK_2017-08-08_15-09-42.png

The configuration points to an internal-hosted website URL for Act Premium for web, which the users all have access to. This is the same public URL they can use from any web browser when outside the office. The reason for using this over the standard integration setup is it allows me to specify a URL to the PAD - whereas the standard integration only allows to specify a UNC path to the PAD file. Using the web version allows my users to roam with their laptops without the need for a VPN. 

Anyway, randomly, even when users are in the office on the fast network, they will get this error when starting Outlook.  This error confuses the users and neither Yes nor No are good options for them to click. It really needs a 3rd button - retry!

Clicking Yes, will show the configured URL, username but a blank password. Why does it blank out the password?!? Users need enter their password, click OK and restart Outlook. Some get confused by this simple password prompt to just hit Cancel and end up with no emails going into Act.

Clicking No, just dismisses the error, and leaves the add-in non-functioning. Again, emails won't go into Act if they do this.

I suspect this error shows due to a too-short time out period. If the web server is busy, or a drop in network connectivity occurs, it throws the error. It would be better to silently retry the connection a few time, with decent delays before retrying, before throwing the error.

Can anyone at Act confirm the timeout length before this message appears. It would at least be useful if the password did not get blanked out. Users then might feel more inclined to hit OK (which would retry the connection) rather than clicking cancel which leaves the add-in non-functioning.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Act 18.2: Outlook: Act Address Book: Random "do you want to configure it now?"

Hi Mike,

We would not normally recommend having both the desktop integration install as well as the Web (you should receive an error about this when installing the web integration) as they can conflict with each other. 

please forgive me if I missed it in your post but is this message from the web integration or desktop?

If it is the desktop version it maybe worth looking through this article as from experience the location of the .Pad file can have an impact

13531 Error: The ACT! Address Book service is not properly configured, or one of the configured data...

there are timeout values available to change from within Actdiag they would not effect the connection to the Address book

Copper Contributor

Re: Act 18.2: Outlook: Act Address Book: Random "do you want to configure it now?"

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The integration was installed by logging into the Web interface as the user and selecting TOOLS > PREFERENCES > EMAIL > then clicking the DOWNLOAD button. This downloads ACTIntegrationSetup.exe, which has been installed locally on the users PC. 

As far as I can tell, the only difference between this installer and the one available through the Act desktop app is the ability to specify a URL rather than a UNC path to the PAD file. 

Either way, we have some users who in fact use the desktop version of the Outlook integration (they have a fixed desktop PC so do not roam). The problem is affecting both, so my question is valid for both integrations. 

Your link to that article is interesting, but if the PAD file is on a server because it is shared by numerous ACT users, what use is it copying it to the local C drive? Am I missing something?? Also, the article mentions a network drop will result in the PAD file location to be forgotten - this is not happening to us. The PAD file location is always remembered, but the password field is emptied.

Thanks

Mike.

Odd that it happens on both the web and the desktop integration. I would recommend anyone who has a static PC with the Installed version of Act! to uninstall the Web integration to prevent any conflict and like wise people who only use Web uninstall Act.

If you have not already tried to copy of the.Pad file locally (can put this anywhere) from my experience usually resolves this issue on desktop.

I would ensure that they use this Pad file for Act in case it needs to be recreated through the Tools > preferences and it will default to the .pad Act is using.

Regarding the web users. Is there a particular time or users who have this issue? do they open in the morning and will be prompted to reenter information?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for taking so long to respond. 

You recommend moving the .Pad file locally - but I previously asked what impact this would have. I thought the Pad file was the database, so if this is on a shared folder for the purpose of being shared between a team of users, would moving it to each individuals computer mean it is stopped being shared?

Thanks

The .Pad file works as a Pointer for Act, an example of what it contains is below. The main database file is the .ADF and ALF works as a log file.

you are unable to move the ADF/ALF as they are in constant use.

I would recommend copying the file rather than moving it as anyone still connected to the main pad file may lose connection. regardless the database will not be unshared as this is set in the database rather than the .pad.

Example of my own pad file.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="Large_Database" host="MYPCNAME" location="C:\Users\Daniel.Horn\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases" type="Sql" />