Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 18.2 Breaks Writing of Opportunities History to Associated Act! Contacts History

Silver Contributor

Re: Act! 18.2 Breaks Writing of Opportunities History to Associated Act! Contacts History

Hi Gary

Had missed that free add-on which will solve the problem.

Thanks

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 18.2 Breaks Writing of Opportunities History to Associated Act! Contacts History

[ Edited ]

@Gary W wrote:

Hi ch1p,

It appears that the software is currently working as designed. The change was made around v18.1 to combat a potential data integrity issue that could occur.

The defect serves as a request to revisit this decision and find a solution to reinstate the behaviour. It's currently logged at a medium priority, but no timeframe is indicated.

It's worth noting, there is a free addon available from a third-party which links opportunity history records with those contacts linked to the opportunity - OppHistory4Act!

Hmmm,

I disagree. It is not OK to provide for a facility that is later removed without any reporting of the intent to the consumer. Customers quite reasonably expect consistency from version to version, they are in business for heck sake, it needs to work . Why has it taken up to now to admit that the functionality had been knowingly removed, the defect was reported over 12 months ago! Secondly it isn't credible to lately add the spin " the defect serves as a request to revisit this decision". Thirdly the fact that Keystroke went to the trouble of creating a fix for it indicates it is used. Do the graceful thing and include the fix in the update not give us the 'no time-frame is indicated' nonsense, code for; 'we are quietly going to forget it and not bother'.

Overall, drop the spin and see how you gather more credibility with customers.        

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Elite Contributor

The OppHistory4Act third party add-on referred to does not write Opportunity system fields to Act! history so the problem remains.
In the image you will see that for, what was previously working in 18.1 update 3, field change data writing to contact history does not work in any version since.  What is the status of the fix for this please? 

OppSySFieldHistory.png

Graeme Leo

Administrator

Hi Graeme,

While this functionality was briefly present in the software, I can see from the notes in the defect, it has ultimately been decided that this should be removed due to the functionality not matching the behaviour of other entities (e.g. attaching notes to an opp, attaching notes/histories to a group or company which has associated contacts). It would be inconsistent to add this functionality only to this area. There are also conflicting arguments about how adding/removing contacts on the opp should be handled, with no single answer being suitable for all customers' use cases.

Silver Contributor

For me and many others the biggest problem is not being able to report on the opportunity sub tables like notes and history etc using the ACT reporting tool. (Sorry - consistent moan of mine for last 7 years since ACT 2010 changed opportunity structure.)

Bronze Elite Contributor

@Gary W wrote:

Hi Graeme,

While this functionality was briefly present in the software, I can see from the notes in the defect, it has ultimately been decided that this should be removed due to the functionality not matching the behaviour of other entities (e.g. attaching notes to an opp, attaching notes/histories to a group or company which has associated contacts). It would be inconsistent to add this functionality only to this area. There are also conflicting arguments about how adding/removing contacts on the opp should be handled, with no single answer being suitable for all customers' use cases.

If consistency is the higher goal offered as a reason for not attending to this defect, it smacks in the face of the inconsistency of there being no consolidation of Contact record documents in the Company documents tab, or the lack of access control on My Record's that cripples customer use models. I'm sorry but the argument is fatuous.

That you could pontificate on the importance of 'consistency' in total disregard of customers reliance on the product actually being consistent across versions while locked into a pre-paid subscription model, with critical function being relied on is very disappointing and I believe outrageous. In terms of 'ultimately deciding' I'm sure the customer, with over 10 years loyalty to Act!  will make that decision.     

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

One of our clients upgraded from v18 to v19.2 to fix the Outlook integration issue, and now is experiencing this issue.  Below is his comment:

"We run our bizdev metrics by number of interactions made, quotes written/closed, etc. and we must report to Brett Company details of who the quotes were written. We have run a history report for me and the contact/company is blank on numerous entries. The example is from May 1 to today for me. Can you investigate with ACT? Without this being automatic and accurate, our metrics cannot be run."

What do we tell our v18 clients who used this and now the feature has been taken away??

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today, Xact Software has released a free add-on to restore the recording of Opportunity history to associated Contacts. This function was broken on the release of service pack 2 for version 18.0.  You can download the add-on from Xact Software's website www.freeactaddons.com, look for Opportunity Tools, we have bundled it with that add-on.

Note that unlike other free add-ons for recording Opportunity history, it will work to record all Opportunity history changes from desktop version of Act!, including from system fields. It will not work with history changes made through the browser interface, i.e. Act! Premium for Web.    

There is facility in the Tools menu in the Opportunity to turn the feature on and off.Save Opp History.png

Graeme Leo

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

The new add-on is excellent in that it gives choice to turn the feature on or off. This is the answer that Swiftpage should have given so customers have more control of features rather than a dictate of what is best.