Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 16 Crashing When Using Document Tab on a Windows 7 Computer

Act 16 Crashing When Using Document Tab on a Windows 7 Computer

Hello Act community, I have an issue where one of my users is trying to scan a document into his Act but as soon as he tries to enter the document tab Act crashes, there is no error code or anything similar. The computer the user is on is a Windows 7 PC running 64-bit, during my search for a fix I noticed that this is an issue with Windows 10 users as well. The Server that the Act database sits on runs Server 2012. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Act 16 Crashing When Using Document Tab on a Windows 7 Computer

[ Edited ]
This issue is likely due to .net 4.6 being installed, as Act! v16 is not compatible with this version. Removing .net 4.6 may fix the issue, but if 4.6 is there, it's likely there for a reason (i.e. another software requiring it and has installed/updated it) as I don't believe included in Windows Updates yet. On Windows 10, .net 4.6 is integral and cannot be worked around that we know of.
The issue is resolved in Act! v17 with a hotfix. See the Knowledgebase article below for more details:
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38199

[ Edited ]

I was actually able to get it working after I got the computer caught up on updates and I ran a script found here: http://kb.swiftpage.com/ci/fattach/get/33090/0/filename/DocTabFix.exe which is found on this page: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38199/~/act!-crashes-when-trying-to-use-the-document...

This is supposed to be a fix for a Windows 10 computer but it worked on Windows 7, for this time at least. 

Thanks for the reply.

Administrator

That's very good news, the fix had been previously reported as only working on Windows 10. Thanks of letting us know that this isn't always the case!

I just tried it and it didn't work for me.  It's strange how inconsistent this problem seems to be.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Jeremy

We had this issue today with a customer who was running windows 8.1 and Act! V16.0 HF5,  I also tried the KB mentioned here as well.  But did not work for us.  

Firstly we confirmed that the machine was using .net 4.6 https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925568(v=vs.110).aspx. Then we tried to find an uninstaller but had no luck.

We went through the history of windows updates and noticed there was some .net 4.6 security updates that had been applied on Friday.  took note of them and un-installed them from  Programs and Features | Installed Updates.

These were the updates we un-installed and worked after rebooting

KB3098785

KB3098000

KB3083185

But really this is a temp fix as you really should not be un-installing security updates but the customer relies on the documents tab so heavily we had no choice.

Thanks

Damon

Bah this issue came back on the same user, everything had been going fine up until this point, not sure what to try yet but some guidance on this issue from Act would be pretty helpful. 

Administrator

Have you checked if the updates mentioned above by Damon have been installed on the users machine?
Copper Contributor

I am running W7 and ACT version 16.2.14.0.  I started having the problem with the Documents tab when I tried this week to attach a file.  I'm not sure when this started as I don't attach files every day.  I went back in my Windows Update history and noticed on 1/29/16 Microsoft .NET Framework upgraded to version 4.6.1.  I believe I was using version 4.5.2 prior to that.

Wondering if the DocTabFix.exe file will work ???  I guess I could uninstall 4.6.1 using the Control Panel and then try and find 4.5.2 somewhere.  Anyone have any thoughts on this ???

Very frustrating.  I've been an ACT user forever.  Version 1.1 !!  These things keep happening every year or so and ACT NEVER sends out any advisories or other information that would be helpful.  They just wait for people to figure it out.  Shameful.  I love the product but hate the customer service.  My ACT Consultant is very good but unless they have lots of people encountering the same problem they don't know either.

Thanks for any info someone could provide !

Administrator

Hi Jon,

We have a Knowledgebase article for just this issue: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38261

Unfortunately the DocTabFix.exe does not affect v16 and will require the removal of the .NET 4.6.1 update.