04-16-2012 08:11 AM
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!
So that Community members can better assist you, can you provide some additional information about your issue:
- Is this Sage ACT! 2012 (V14), or ACT! 2010 (V12)? Can be found in Help > About ACT!.
- Is the database local to your computer or on a server?
- Can you quantify 'sluggish'? How long is it taking to perform a Lookup?
- Is the response consistent throughout the day, or does it slow down with extended usage?
- If the database is shared with others, do they have the same response time for a Lookup?
04-16-2012 09:07 AM
Hi, Greg. Please call me Rick (Inguanti). Thanks for your reply.
I just opened Act from the tray and it took a little over 30 secs., just FYI.
I'm using 2010, ver. 12.
Data is on my hard drive, not on a server or "cloud."
Now that I time it, the lookups are coming up in less than 1/2 a sec. Maybe what makes it feel longer is that it's defaulting to "List View" display and I'm used to seeing one record, in "Detail View." Is it possible to change this default and how do I do that?
......My wife says I should transfer my 3100+ contacts from ACT to MS Outlook, but I've been an ACT user since about 1990.
04-16-2012 10:13 AM
Well, I'm glad to hear it was a perception - not an actual long delay in the Lookups. Certainly would feel longer after waiting for the database to open completely and settle to a useable state.
To see if changing the startup view will help: go to Tools > Preferences > Startup tab > look for 'Startup view' and select 'Contacts'. I assume it is currently set to 'Contact List'.
Assuming this database has been through a few years of use and multiple versions of ACT!:
- One thing to look at for decreasing the launch time of ACT! is the calendar. How many activities do you have on the calendar? When ACT! opens, one of the background tasks is to check the calendar for roll-over activities; having a large amount of activities (even cleared activities) can slow down the task. To see how many activities are on the calendar, go to the Task List > to the top right of the activities area > click on Options > select 'Show Cleared Activities'. At the bottom of the list will be a total.
- If there is a large number of activities on the calendar, they can be cleared off through the Tools > Database Maintenance > Remove Old Data > 'Cleared Activities Older Than' option. Before making mass changes like this, always make a backup of the database (File > Backup > Database).
- When activities are cleared, a 'History' item is created to record that activity. Using the 'Remove Old Data' option will not remove the history item associated with the activity.