Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 11 - Serious BUG: Email field readonly - field is unclickable for outlook-mail generation

Copper Contributor

Act 11 - Serious BUG: Email field readonly - field is unclickable for outlook-mail generation

We use At 11 (ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367).

Introduction to the problem:

We have several employees, and for each group of employees we have specific access roles.

For example: only people of the secretary department are able to change name, addresses, emailaddresses etc.

Other employees have read only accesss to the contact fields. Wheneever a new contact is needed or a contact change is needed, one of the secretary-employees takes care of doing so.

By having this kind of setup we have a company-policy on how the contactinformation is exactly formatted and input into Act.

Having 25 people editing contact data makes the database more obvious to become 'corrupted' with Ms, MISS, Mss etc.

The problem

If an email field is being set on readonly, it is no longer clickable to send an email.

Of course there is the button 'send email' in the menubar, but this button only sends email to the FIRST email adress of the contact card. Since some customers do have several email addresses, this button does not do the job.

In my opinion this is a bug in Act 11 

1. Will some people please set their email field on readonly and reproduce this bug please

2. Will Act management please take care of fixing of this problem

Kind regards,

René van der Velde

aka The Dutch Betatester

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'
Bronze Contributor

Re: Act 11 - Serious BUG: Email field readonly - field is unclickable for outlook-mail generation

I would have to disagree with what you are asking for by definition making a field read only means exactly this read only. Maybe you could try one of the addon product from Durking which puts a button next to each of the email fields and allow you to click and create an email from template. Try the Durkin designer at www.durkingcomputing.com

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 11 - Serious BUG: Email field readonly - field is unclickable for outlook-mail generation

I disagree. The fact that information is set to read-only does NOT mean that the information should not be usable, on the contrary: in case of an email-address there is no point in presenting the email address (showing it) and not being able to USE it.

Besides.. there is still the email button that works (but only for the first emailadress in the contact card). To me this means that this is to be considered as a defect or bug.

Durkin email template was designed with a completely other vision in mind, and offers you the possibility to have more templates at hand when sending emails. The thing that's wrong here is the fact that people with readonly access to a email field cannot send mails through the normal procedure, and the workaround procedure (the email button) only sends the email to the first email adress on the contact card.

Let me know if I've convinced you (but I'd rather convince a programmer at Sage Smiley Wink

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde

aka The Dutch Betatester

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'
Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't think it's a bug as it's working as designed... but it certainly should be something you should post as a feature request

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Bronze Contributor

Rene,

The Durkin toolkit adds the button to all of the email fields not just the primary field.

I think that the security properties of a field do need more options and this has never been well thought out by product management so maybe you should submit this as a feature enhancement as Mike suggests and we might see it in version 15 Smiley Happy

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.