Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Accessing Documents Tab crashes ACT (v15.1.108.0)

Accepted Solution Solved
Nickel Contributor
Accepted Solution

Accessing Documents Tab crashes ACT (v15.1.108.0)

Recently, a number of users in my company have been reporting that ACT crashes when accessing the Documents tab of a contact. In searching, I found some things that seem promising, but have not helped (mainly http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38199). These machines are running Windows 7 (some 32bit and some 64bit). Since this just started up, it may be due to the last batch of Windows updates on 2/9/2016. Below are the error messages from Event Viewer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

.NET Runtime
Application: ActSage.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form)
   at Act.Application.SingletonApp.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form)
   at Act.Application.Act.Main(System.String[])
Application Error
Faulting application name: ActSage.exe, version: 15.1.108.0, time stamp: 0x50c10f63
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.19135, time stamp: 0x56a1c79e
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c52f
Faulting process id: 0x1cec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d164e51652a985
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 70b526af-d0d8-11e5-8f9e-1803732e12f3

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author knif
‎02-11-2016 12:43 PM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Accessing Documents Tab crashes ACT (v15.1.108.0)

The issue is caused by an update to .NET.  Basically you will need to go back to .NET 4.5.2 in order to fix it.  I believe that Microsoft dropped a routine from .NET that was used in Act!.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author knif
‎02-11-2016 12:43 PM
Silver Super Contributor

The issue is caused by an update to .NET.  Basically you will need to go back to .NET 4.5.2 in order to fix it.  I believe that Microsoft dropped a routine from .NET that was used in Act!.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Nickel Contributor

Just to clarify, you are saying that .NET 4.6.1 should be removed? I just checked the Windows Update history, and saw that it was installed as a recommended update.

Nickel Contributor

Removing 4.6.1 did the trick. But beware! Removing 4.6.1 will also remove 4.5.2! So that has to be reinstalled afterwards, along with getting all of its security updates.
Silver Super Contributor

Yes.  Still not a perfect fix.  Sooner or later you'll have an app that requires .NET 4.6 or later. It does give you a little time to upgrade to a later version of Act! though.  It is fixed for v17 and v18 I believe.

Stan 

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Nickel Contributor

Yeah, I have one that uses 4.6, if I update to the latest and greatest. I'll more than likely update at some point, but for the general users at this point, the 4.6.1 update is getting hidden.
Copper Contributor

Stan, do you know which version of v17 contains a fix? I have a client with 17.0.151.0, Hot Fix 1 that seems to be getting hit by this. I will probably update them to 17.2 soon but in the mean time I guess I'll have to roll back the .NET version.
Silver Super Contributor

I'm pretty sure it was fixed in Hotfix 2.  Unless you have a good reason not to install Hotfix 2 I would install that before I rolled back .NET.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

I found a specific kb for this: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38261/.

The environment includes about 10 PCs, half of which are running remote databases, so it will take a little time to update them all. However, the roll back of the .NET framework was quick and painless on the affected PC.

Thanks for your help!

This is exactly what has happened to us with .net 4.6.1 installed over the weekend. We're completely stuck at the moment as all of our users use the Documents tab.

The KB article advises: "Once you have uninstalled .NET Framework 4.6.1, it is necessary to uninstall and reinstall Act!" - does anyone know why this is necessary or whether it's just recommended please?