Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Accessing ACT for web via VPN on cell phone?

Copper Contributor

Accessing ACT for web via VPN on cell phone?

We are currently running Act Premium 13, and are looking into installing the Act for Web to use Act on mobile devices. We would require our users to access on their mobile via a VPN to ensure data security. For anyone currently accessing Act on your phone or tablet by a VPN, how are your experiences with it? More hassle than it's worth, or are the extra steps worth the benefits of having access to Act on the go?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Accessing ACT for web via VPN on cell phone?

I would recommend you do a few tests for performance to see if it's a viable solotion for your organization.

It does work, the vpn can slow things down though.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Bronze Elite Contributor

Why not run APFW under SSL (httpsSmiley Happy ?

Premium Mobile works for us using a Chrome browser running to Act! 2013.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Our IT department will not allow us to use a SSL connection as it is not secure enough. The only way we'd use it would be via a VPN connection, but if it's going to be more clunky than anything else APFW won't get used.

Copper Contributor

Remote Desktop will be slow, but safer.

A faster way would be sync software.

http://www.companionlink.com can send ACT to Outlook or their DejaOffice App that runs on mobiles..

http://www.handheldcontact.com, uses their 3rd party server and sends data to their App that runs on mobile.

Platinum Elite Contributor

While I personally prefer Handheld Contact, when I use APFW, I use VPN

Your IT department is right that SSL is not secure ... Apple have just released an iOS patch for a a long-standing bug that allows an attacker to "capture or modify data in sessions protected by SSL/TLS"

They still have several similar ones that haven't been patched ... and the same bug in their MacOS hasn't even got the first one patched.
Copper Super Contributor

We are on the verge of implementing this VPN/Phone solution at a large client.  I'll keep you posted of our experiences.  We have been looking at it for a while and theoretically we can specify which portions of internet traffic go through the VPN and which ones don't.   If that is true, as the IT guys are saying, then it should be pretty lightweight (we hope).  

John Tytus
Prescience, LLC
Cincinnati, OH
www.iprescience.com
Copper Contributor

Mike, when you impliment VPN, do you utilize a service (like CyberGhost, or VPNBook, or Norton Hotspot);  or do you just utilize the VPN that's native to Windows?

Platinum Elite Contributor

I tend not to use the Windows one ... I have a hardware VPN, but any commercial VPN (service or network) should be ok
Bronze Elite Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
ACT! Users Celebrate: Sage sells ACT! & SalesLogix to Swiftpage

Should read: ACT! Users Celebrate: Swiftpage sells SalesLogix  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog