regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 208 56192-34
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Access To Path is Denied

If not already done change the path in the PAD file from the server name to the server IP address to see if that fixes.

Hi Ingo, did you get my email?

Regards

Robert

Copper Elite Contributor

The issue is related to corrupt registration files. Please delete all the files listed below. Then open Act! back up and it will ask you to register again and then you should be good to go.

C:\ProgramData\Act\license.daysOffline.txt

C:\ProgramData\Act\license.txt

then Delete the entire directory and its contents C:\ProgramData\Act\ActData

Gary Robillard

gary@corelogix.ca

Corelogix Corporation

Copper Contributor

Copying the .pad file to the desktop and running from there has worked for us.  Hope this helps. 

Luci Packett
Stewart Technologies

If it helps anyone receiving this error in the year 2020 - we saw this issue using an RDS server setup. Both the RDS copy of ACT and the copy on the standalone ACT server would show this error - although running as admin would have no issues, which indicated to me entitled users were missing some kind of permissions access.

If this sounds like you, check the C:\ProgramData\Act folder, and ensure that entitled users have at least read access to it and every subfolder/file inside it (you can try full, I did modify but it's probably overkill). Once done try launching the application again as the user. If you still see it, it might be worth making sure they have permissions to the ACT DB files in whatever documents folder you stuck it in - that was my first step but didn't end up solving the problem. The ProgramData folder contains the licensing afaik, so it seems like whoever runs the application needs to have the permissions to allow the app to read it's own licensing files. Interestingly, this issue appeared out of nowhere and heretofore had to been running fine for two weeks since we upgraded from an ancient version (Act 2011).

Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ran into this issue today with a Windows Update and Act! Pro v22. Two of the users got "Access to path is denied" error when trying to open Act!. Checked permissions, tried copying pad locally, changed pad file to use IP address instead of machine name. The only thing that worked was deleting the licensing files in ProgramData folders locally along with the ActData folder and reregistering Act!

Shannon Hawthorne
essentials software
Atlanta, GA
Copper Super Contributor

We found that giving the logged in Windows user write permission on %programdata%\Act fixes this reliably. Maybe give that a try.

Kind Regards,
Thomas
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Consulting and Development for CRM-Software
Nickel Super Contributor

Thomas,

Thank you. I did as you suggested but had to also log into Act! using Run As Administrator, logout of Act! and back in without running as Administrator and that worked.

I thought I had tried that yesterday but and added Everyone as well to ProgramData/Act folder and it did not resolve the issue. Anyway, Thanks so much. Glad it worked!

Shannon

Shannon Hawthorne
essentials software
Atlanta, GA
Silver Super Contributor

I have seen this a number of times and it seems vey random and only effects some installations in a multi ACT networked site. It seems to happen on a Monday after a Windows update and running ACT as administrator corrects this and the user can then run ACT normally until the next Widows update.

I agree that this must be some sort of permissions problem but not sure why this is happening.