Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

About 2 servers (Application server and Database server)

About 2 servers (Application server and Database server)

My client has such request about 2 servers setup.

They want to have an application server to run ACT and a separate database server to run the database (MSSQL Standard).  Is it possible ?  Also, their company policy doesn't allow for the application installation in the database server, can I just move the database to their database server by backup and restore in the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) ?

Anymore can suggest how it works in such environment with 2 servers.  
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: About 2 servers (Application server and Database server)

Thanks Mike !
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi Anton,

I would like to mirror my colleague's comments here. You need the Act! application to be installed where the database is hosted. There are many reasons for this. Attaching the database, the tools that come with Act! (Such as Actdiag.exe) cannot be installed stand alone and are installed during Act's installation.

The back ground processes that are required for every day use in Act!  e.g. Act.Server.Host this are required for the completion of the universal search. If you do not deploy Act! to the host computer you will not be able to perform these searches.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Thanks.

Cam

(UK Swiftpage Act! Support)

Cam Mortimer
------------------------------------
Customer Success Team

A NOTE REGARDING DIRECT ASSISTANCE: I am unable to offer any direct assistance over private message. All questions should be posted publicly in the appropriate community boards. Private message should only be used for the exchange of private information.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are two options for the client if they are really against installing Act! on their SQL Server:
1. A dedicated Act! server (even as a virtual machine), that only has Act! and it's instance of SQL and it's database files
2. A hosted solution ... Have Act! hosted off site and accessed via web browser or Remote Desktop, etc

Hope that helps
Bronze Elite Contributor

Had this with a client and ended up like this -

SQL and ACT + Database on a server.

On application server just ACT for WEB linked to Database server. All users on application server used ACT for WEB version.

Not ideal as you get reduced functionality but did meet clients needs.