Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ASP.NET setup on Win. XP

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ASP.NET setup on Win. XP

I'm attempting to set up web access on the 2012 version using a Win. XP MCE machine. The machine has all Microsoft updates installed. However, since it's not a server OS, ASP.NET is not an installable Windows component. (All hardware concerns are already well addressed.)

This is my first time setting up up ACT! for web access and I need some clarity on which of the many ASP.NET offerings I should install - if any. Three options are listed on the Get Started page. On the Downloads page is a featured package (green Install Now button) different from those on the Get Started page, and at least two other packages.

Does anyone have a recommendation and some rationale to go with it?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelStJ
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ASP.NET setup on Win. XP

[ Edited ]

OK, I finally passed the Web Server test in Web Site Admin.

I had copied the 4 APFW directories from the ACT! for Web program directory to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot, then restarted the SQL server (maybe not necessary) and ACT!.

I eventually got the ASP.NET impersonation account to test OK and now the web site set up is complete, at least within the Web Site Admin. tool.

Apparently the original problem was with MSDTC being unable to start. Anyway, I'm now much relieved to be back in the world of ordinary problems.

For those who rushed here for a solution, the proceedure at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=891801 was the critical piece. Re-installing IIS may or may not have been necessary. See above posts for details.

Thanks, Matthew, for your assistance.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

You should be able to install ASP.Net via console commands from the .Net version appropriate for your version of Act, in this case 3.5. 

1. Click Start then Run.
  2. Type CMD and hit Ok.
  3. Navigate to your Microsoft .NET windows directory which is usually C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
  4. Run the following commands aspnet_regiis -i and aspnet_regiis -c
  5. Load up your IIS Manager and enable ASP.NET on the site you want.

Hope this helps!

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response. I had to run the command lines under C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 as that's where the relevant executable was located.

However, both before and after running the command lines, I got the following error message:

ACT! error msg - Web Admin Tool.JPG

Any Idea what to make of this? I had already created the impersonation account with no apparent mishaps until this.

Employee

Seems like ASP.Net or IIS is having some issue. What happens when you try to browse to localhost?

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Assuming you  mean http://localhost, what I get is this message:

Server Application Error

The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance.

The system event log shows this error message in response to the attempt to browse localhost:

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    W3SVC
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    36
Date:        02/06/2012
Time:        11:39:46 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    <computer>
Description:
The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'.  The error was 'Class not registered
'.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

As far as I'm able to determine, the expected files exist where they're supposed to (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\). Also, we have not created a public IP address for the server pending completion of local testing. I've assumed that should not be an issue here, but thought I should mention it in case I'm mistaken.

Am I looking at uninstalling and reinstalling IIS and MSDTC? And can that be done without reinstalling ACT! for web?

As a further test, I tried browsing to specific files -

http://localhost/postinfo.html  showed the file as expected

http://localhost/localstart.asp  asked for user name and password in some (Firefox-based) browsers, but not others (IE, Chrome), which showed the above Server Application Error message

Interestingly, the user name and password I set up for the impersonation account don't work when I enter them and neither do those of other functioning user accounts on the machine.

Employee

Yea, having a public IP at this point wouldn't make any difference. Googled the description and got a few results that might be useful to you, most seem to point to a corrupt COM+ catelog that doesn't contain IIS components. You can reinstall IIS and leave Act in place, I don't see any reason it'd affect it.

I'd post the links to the solution I've found, but I've not tested them personally so don't want to validate them nor lead you astray, but if reinstalling IIS doesn't help and you have the same error, Google the description from the event log message and you'll find some potential solutions there.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Before I embark on reinstalling IIS, I should note that attempting to manually start the DTC service fails consistently. I'll check this again after reinstalling IIS.

Copper Contributor

Before uninstalling IIS, I noticed that the DTC service was stopped. When I tried to manually start it, it failed to start. Same thing after uninstalling IIS, so I reinstalled it per this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=891801 before reintalling IIS.

After reinstalling MSDTC and IIS, I now get a more common error message when testing from the web admin tool  - that the ASP.NET process account doesn't exist or isn't properly configured. So far, my attempts to resolve that have failed. This includes following through on knowledebase article 14867.

Interestingly, if I browse to localhost now, I still get different results depending on the browser. IE and Chrome show an OS generated web page telling me my web service is now running. Firefox-based browsers ask for a user name and password and then show the same error page regardless of what I enter:

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Error Type:
    error '8002801c'

Error accessing the OLE registry.

/iisHelp/common/500-100.asp, line 154

I suppose this is progress, but I'm clearly not out of the woods yet. Further assistance will be much appreciated.

Copper Contributor

After poking around a bit, it seems that removing and reinstalling IIS got rid of the ACT!-specific files for IIS. Do they still exist elsewhere in a condition that will allow me to copy them into the inetpub directory? Or should these files be brought in some other way?

Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelStJ
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, I finally passed the Web Server test in Web Site Admin.

I had copied the 4 APFW directories from the ACT! for Web program directory to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot, then restarted the SQL server (maybe not necessary) and ACT!.

I eventually got the ASP.NET impersonation account to test OK and now the web site set up is complete, at least within the Web Site Admin. tool.

Apparently the original problem was with MSDTC being unable to start. Anyway, I'm now much relieved to be back in the world of ordinary problems.

For those who rushed here for a solution, the proceedure at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=891801 was the critical piece. Re-installing IIS may or may not have been necessary. See above posts for details.

Thanks, Matthew, for your assistance.