Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

APFW and Act! local version on same computer?

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: APFW and Act! local version on same computer?

You would use the URL for the APFW database in the browser and then you get a login screen and just use your laogin anme and password for that database.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lets take a step back and get some clarity on what you are trying to achieve.

If ACT and the database are on your machine you would need ACT for WEB application on your machine. This will allow access via the desktop application and also via an internet browser.

If ACT desktop application is on your machine and the Database is on a server then the server will need the ACT for WEB version installed and you can then use an internet browser and network to access your database twice.

Highlighted

Thank you!  I'm afraid I feel I'm taking you in vicious circles.  So according to the follow up below by ch1p, I'd need to install the Act for Web application. Thus I'm back to the question above of which file in the Download section is the correct one to install.  

Highlighted

Thank you, ch1p .. I'm still trying to find out which download to use to install the ACT for WEB application.  My database is on my machine, not a server.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

In that case a vital question we have not asked is do you have ACT Pro or Premium licence. Only Premium has the option to have ACT for WEB installed.

If in doubt - in ACT go to Help - About ACT. It will state what product and version you have.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

I think you just want to know which of the 2 files to download. If you are installing on a work station or a stand alone PC use the Windows download. If you have a web server (eg, one with IIS installed) then use the Web download. If you don't know what a web server is, you probably want the Windows download :-)

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted

I've said from the beginning APFW and thought that would convey I've got Premium .. so sorry for not being clearer.  I've been using Act! since version 2!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Karen, see the trail above .. I've been asking which of the files at https://www.act.com/resources/downloads/act-premium-v16 .. I definitely need the Windows option (no server) but have listed my version above and when I tried to install actpremweb16sp2_ update_us.exe I received an error message.  Any help on the right download file would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

OK - You need to download the ACT for WEB version from the link below.

BUT you need to uninstall ACT Premium before this version will install. All database will not be changed or deleted.

https://www.act.com/download/download-act!-premium-v16

Highlighted

This is crazy!  My original question was asking if I could have the local installation as well as access my database through a browser via Act! Premium for Web.  After all the back and forth, you're telling me I can't but other responses below have said I can .. I need my local version and it's what I use full time.  I can access my database via apps like Splashtop if I'm out of the office but was hoping I could access it through a browser instead.  I'm more confused than ever.