Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

APFW and Act! local version on same computer?

APFW and Act! local version on same computer?

I have Act! v16 on my desktop PC and wondered if I can add APFW on the same computer without operating issues?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: APFW and Act! local version on same computer?

If you are referring to using APFW in your browser at the same time, no problem. I do it all the time. If you are talking about having ACT! premium for Web, no it would replace your present local install of the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

As Roy says no problem if 2nd option is web based BUT do not try to connect word and Outlook a 2nd time on the web based version on the PC as this can cause issues.

Thank you!  So I can have my local version open on my desktop computer and also have APFW open in my browser?  Does one browser perform better than another?  Chrome vs Firefox?

Should be no problems if the APFW doesn't use connections to Word or Outlook. I use Chrome and it's satisfactory. I've used Firefox is the past when there sere problems with Chrome. I haven't tried APFW on Firefox lately. Right now Chrome seems fairly solid.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I so appreciate your help!  I have one more question.  My current installed version of Act! is Act! Premium Version 16.3.11.0, Hot Fix 1.  On the Act.com Download page - https://www.act.com/resources/downloads/act-premium-v16 - which update would I install for APFW?  I tried actpremweb16sp2_ update_us.exe and got the message it wasn't the correct version.  Do I go with SP1?

Bronze Super Contributor

Act! Premium Version 16.3.11.0, Hot Fix 1 means you're already on Act! v16 SP3 and HF 1 so there are no more upgrades/hotfixes available for that version.

The only way to upgrade to APFW is to uninstall your current version and install the Act! Premium for Web with the same serial number.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Okay, now I'm really confused.  My original question was whether I could access APFW via browser and at the same time have my local version remain on my desktop PC.  As long as I don't integrate Outlook and Word on my APFW/browser resource, I was told I could do that.  

David's comment applies to replacing your desktop version with the web enabled desktop version. You would only need to do that if you wanted to be a APFW server. For what you want to do your desktop version is fine and you can view APFW in your browser.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks, Roy!  So accessing it through my browser would be done by ... ?  I took the Certified Consultant test and actually passed about 4 years ago but just can't recall how that works.  Thank you so much for your help!