Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

APFW and Act! local version on same computer?

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: APFW and Act! local version on same computer?

I believe I understand what you want to do so let me describe what i do. I use the local install of ACT! premium for reference in support and for development of custom reports. Most of the time with the demo database or for report development, a copy of a client database. For our business contact management we use an APFW database that's remotely hosted and I use this through my web browser. Very often I have both a local database open along with our business database through the web browser. Does this sound like what you want to do?
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted

Yes .. I don't need them to be open at the same time necessarily.  When I'm in my home office, I'll be in my local Act!  When I'm out, I want the features of what the web version can do via a browser.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

You can't mix and match the two versions (web and desktop) on the same computer. You are referencing a web link which will not install on a computer that is not a web server. When updates are released they will specify web or desktop; you need to use the one that matches what you currently have installed.

Are you a single user? You need desktop. Do you belong to a larger organization? You need desktop. Do you run the web server for a company? Then you could install either one depending on your server. But no, you can't install the web version on a basic computer and magically access it through a browser.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted

Sooo, do I have to download/install the .exe file and which one?  And it won't disturb my existing local Act?

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Go into Act, click Help and select About. What is the version number? Example, Act 16.1.X

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Let's cut to the chase:  http://cdn.act.dlm.swiftpage.com/3730/act_premium_v16_sp3x11_us_ca_la.exe

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted

Karen, I've already given all that info above.