Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

APFW 2009, users signing into one db, but sent to different one

APFW 2009, users signing into one db, but sent to different one

Interesting situation - we have two Act databases available, but on certain PCs (3 out of 8), when users select database2 and login, they end up in database1.  It's definitely related to the PC itself, not the userid - on a PC where it happens, no one is able to access database2, and on a PC where it doesn't happen, the same user is fine to access either database.

Any hints?  I'm technical and smart on .Net, IIS, databases, but don't know Act ... i spelunked the web.config and such for any IP address based configuration, but it doesn't appear to be that.  And this is APFW, so it can't be client software configuration (unless it's something subtle about the browser version?).

thx!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: APFW 2009, users signing into one db, but sent to different one

Hello daboochmeister,
Are both databases available in the log in dropdown for the users having the issue? May be a problem with cookies...have them delete from their internet options. Also, are all users accessing the database via the same web server?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for replying ... yes, they pick database2 from the dropdown, but end up in database1 (on these 3 PCs).  Yes, hosted on the same web server.  I'll try the cookies flush, good thought - I'm pretty sure I already tried that, though.  Any other ideas appreciated -- if you're waiting to see if the cookies idea fixes it, can I request everyone just quickly datadump all their ideas on things to look at?  I schedule my work with them, and am there tonight, so being able to try as many things as possible shortens the timeline to a solution, rather than doing a back and forth and having to wait for my next visit.  Thx!

Platinum Super Contributor

- Reset IIS > test

- Try adding the Demo database through the Web Site Admin tool > reset IIS > then attempt to access it from the workstation. 

- After adding the demo > remove the other 2 databases (or 1 at a time) > reset IIS > attempt access demo from workstation.  Then add the databases back in 1 at a time, testing access from workstation

- after all testing > remove demo from list

Greg Martin
Sage

In addition, you can try rebuilding the web database preferences for those users by deleting them and then having them login again. See KB Article 19757 for the location of the user web database preferences.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Greg and Greig ... I'll try all you've mentioned.  While I'm trying, and in case it changes your answers any, I've gotten a clarification on the problem -- they've always been able to login to 2 databases at the same time, and on these 3 individual PCs, they can't, when they try to login to the 2nd database, another instance of the first database comes up for them.  I didn't understand that it was the concurrent login that was the issue.

And remember, it's NOT user specific ... the same userid can login concurrently on the other 5 PCs.

Any add'l ideas, given that clarification of the problem?  Thx!

I've seen this with tabbed browsing. If they are opening the second database on a new tab, then they should be able to log out (by clicking the Log Out option) of that database, then log into the second database. Sounds simple I know, but not sure if they have tried that yet.

Greig Hollister

Huh.  Are you saying they shouldn't be able to login to 2 databases concurrently, that they should have to logout of the first in order to login to the 2nd?  Because they currently CAN login to 2 databases at the same time, on 5 PCs.  But ... it's so useful to have 2 databases up at once, it really has to be a suppported use case, no?

A further clue -- it turns out the PCs on which they can't do this are all new PCs, the only ones running Windows 7.  They're not the only ones with IE8, and the XP SP3/SP3 PCs have no trouble logging in concurrently, in either IE6, IE7, or IE8.  So it's likely something about Windows 7.  They're running in compatibility mode in IE8 on every machine using it, W7 and XP, because of script errors that popup if they don't.

Curiouser and curiouser.

[ Edited ]

This is what I have seen:

If they are logged into DB1, then open a new tab and try to log into DB2, it instead opens DB. So on the second tab, log out of DB1 and then log into DB2. No need to log out of DB1 on the first tab.

Greig Hollister