Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACt Outlook Service Exception Thrown

Loyal Listener

ACt Outlook Service Exception Thrown

[ Edited ]

After installing SP1 we are intermittently getting errors from the ACT.Outlook.Service

At times the service just stops.

Every once in a while we get the error ACT.Outlook.Service Exception Thrown or System.OutofMemoryException was thrown.

We never had these errors prior to installing SP1

Is there any help for this? 

Message Edited by Synergetic308 on 05-04-2010 04:01 PM
Message Edited by Synergetic308 on 05-04-2010 04:01 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACt Outlook Service Exception Thrown

Is this happening on all the machines? Check under the Processes tab in the Task Manager and see if Act.Outlook.Service.exe is using a high amount of memory. This could be due to a failed email attachment that is continously trying to attach to history.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Loyal Listener

This error is not happening on all machines. I will need to check with the users that are having the issue and will post back what I find.

If it is a failed email attachment how will I know?

Lori

There are 2 places to look:

- You should see a white envelope with a red "X" in your system tray (lower left of your screen by the clock). Right-click on this icon and select "Show progress". This will bring up the Quick Attach progress dialog box. Look under the "Not Attached Messages" tab.

- In Windows Explorer, browse to the following location: C:\Documents & Settings\[user name]\Application Data\ACT\Act for Windows 12\History Queue. You may see some .tmp files and error logs. Delete the entire contents of the History Queue folder.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Loyal Listener

When we right click on the icon in the system tray nothing shows up in the "Not Attached Messages" tab, however, there are files in the HistoryQueue.

They system will not let me delete them so I will need to wait and start up in Safe Mode and delete that way.

All the messages in the HistoryQueue, at least for this user, were addressed to internal distribution lists. Could that be why they are not showing up in the "Not Attached Messages" tab?

I think this has been suggested before, but an exclusion list for attaching email would be a great time saver.

Thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor

Lori,

Please see your Private Messages.

Greg Martin
Sage

There is currently an open issue where messages to distribution lists will not attach. Those items would not show under the Not Attached tab as they cannot be associated to any one contact...they may simply show as blank entries under that tab. To delete items in the History Queue folder you will need to end the Act.Outlook.Service.exe process under the Processes tab of the Task Manager. When done, you can restart the service by browsing to C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows and double-clicking the Act.Outlook.Service.exe file.

Greig Hollister

Loyal Listener

Thanks for the explanation.

If the messages are listed as blank entries can the user click on each line and remove?

I think it is rather impractical for an administrator to visit each machine and perform these steps each time this happens.

Hopefully a fix will be coming soon to address this issue.

Is there a way to subscribe to the issue so I can be notified when/if a resolution is found?

If anyone has found a work-around for this, please share. Thanks.

[ Edited ]

The blank entries can only be removed by deleting them from the History Queue. A possible workaround would be to expand out the distribution list before sending the message by clicking the + sign next to the distribution list name...this will put all the recipients' names in the To: box instead of the list name. This way ACT! has some actual contact names and email addresses to reference when trying to attach.

Another option would be to not attempt to attach at all messages that are sent to a distribution list. On the toolbar of the new message screen, you will see a dropdown for ACT! history recording options. Just change the option to "None" and ACT! will not attempt to attach that message.

Unfortunately, we don't have a method to subscribe you to a particular issue, however updates will be posted in this Community and in the Knowledgebase when a solution is available.

Message Edited by ghollister on 05-05-2010 11:37 AM

Greig Hollister

Loyal Listener

Thank you for the suggestion. I will pass that on to our users.

Lori