Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

JM
Nickel Contributor

ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

About 2013 version of ACT I posted an issue that Tools | Database Maintenance Repair and Reindex or in ACTDIAG.EXE was not shrinking the size of .ADF (DB) file, unless you do a save empty copy of DB then import old into new.

Is there any better way to shrink DB after doing a lot of merge (import) data in to 1000's of contact records since my DB was 568MB and now up to 1GB.

JM

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

You may need to go to the SQL tools section rather than within ACTDIAG to do this but a number of people advise don't do it unless you have a space problem.

I have only done this once when a database went over the 10GB limit for SQL Express and I had no choice.

If you want to try this just lookup shrink SQL database in Google and select the article for SQL 2008R2

BUT MAKE A BACKUP FIRST

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

ch1p,

I had seen the article and did at least check the Auto-Shrink box on ACTDIAG, but decided the deeper steps in doing command line was a bit much to grasp.

I called support he tried everything to shrink but no good.

I ended up doing the Save As Empty copy DB steps and was able to go from 1.03GB back to about 550MB and retain the Contacts Company links, but still lost my Relationships a Contact would have with many others.

I must of had corruption that prevented shrink to work because I had 6 old / erased alarms that showed up in the New DB.

I will say unless its an issue this version of ACT 18.1. update 2 made it easier to create the empty copy.  Did not have to create a temp ACT user then import users then delete it then import all contacts, then again import the rest Companies, Groups, Oppt.

The Save As Empty Copy is still the best way to fix a corrupt DB but with 75,000 records it does take time even with an SSD in my PC.

JM