Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

JM
Nickel Contributor

ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

[ Edited ]

After Beta Prem. 2011 ACTDIAG.EXE was compressing (shrink DB size) if you ran it after 1000's of records across +12 fields perfomring imports and or copy/swap/replace to correct the Phone field country format to all be USA.

I started with a DB size of 571MB with 75,000 contact records and +1100 companies, and lots of History type records.  After correcting about 9 phone fields county Format the DB after reindex both from ACT Program then from ACTDIAG.EXE the reindex actually grew DB size to 812MB. Which is actually 170MB smaller after I turned off Remote Sync service.

To recreate problem have a DB with 75,000 contact records, 6 phone fields which have around 45,000 phone numbers and 3 more with 65,000 phone numbers.Create one 11 Charater field type for coping from a phone field into it.  Do for 9 phone fields a series of steps to grow the DB size without actually adding more data into records.

How I corrected Phone fields country format to USA:

Show all contat records (reason there may be poorly inserted phone# that Lookup by contains data will not find)

Edit copy a Phone field into a the 11 Charc field to strip out county codes.

Edit Replace Field the Phone, leave value blank, click on the ... button to set country to USA this will clear and set all phone fields for USA.  "The User Manager CC even if set as USA will not change a field form one country  code to another unless the field is set to no code."

Lookup in the 11 Charc field for any containing data

Edit Copy from the 11 Char field back into the Phone field.

Edit Replace the 11 Charc field with no value to clear the fields so you cna repeat steps for the other fields.

I know there are Import Add-on's to do this in fewer and faster steps which will also still grow the DB, but this is the way if you don't have that Program.  Growing the DB does not have to be only phone it can happen with any field type.

BTW I don't have ON the fields setting to record a change to History record.

JM

Re: ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

JM,

Thank you for the information.  I will create a knowledgebase article to reflect these steps for manually fixing the phone fields with the correct country codes.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACTDIAG 2013, v.15.1 Reindex no longer shrinks DB size after fixing phone country format

Thanks Billy,

If you can please feel free to run by me any patches to ACT! 2013 Prem. if you can more importantly fix the Re-index to shrink the DB again after performing many copy/swap/replace between fields even though the number of fields with data did not increase.  I'm sticking to my three Licenses 2013 and no longer a bronze annual renewal customer because the Sage updates were not adding big fixes or improvements for the way I use ACT! as a Database program more than pure Contact management.

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

Billy C.,

1. First I noticed on my original laptop Act Prem 15.1.108 (SP1) if I run from Act the Database Maintenance | Check and Repair (one step does reindex) then open Actdiag | List DB's I see it shrinked from around 800MB to 720MB.  If I then run the Actdiag reindex the DB grew by 80MB. 

Update. I bought new laptop Toshiba P75-A7200 i7 4th Gen. with Windows 8.0 and installed all my apps and installed ACT 2013/Ver 15.1.108.0 (sp1) with Hotfix 4.  After I restored my backup DB, ran ACT Check and Repair, then opened Actdiag to see the DB size is 573MB which is much smaller than my previous best 680-720MB.

I guess since my old system Act help about version did not show any version of Hot Fix installed maybe the improvement is on the HF4?

That fact it is much smaller then even doing the Save-As Empty copy of DB steps, I don't need to run ACTDIAG to reindex after retesting the steps to grow DB by making massive field change of data then reindex to see if Actdiag still has a problem.

JM

FYI:  I like Windows 8.0 but I found the Toshiba display screen resolution at 1900 was at medium 125% and not smaller 100%. I noticed my Act layouts were all messed up so it took me a few to recall DPI has to be at default.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re the DPI issue, see Jim Durkin's fix for that here: http://www.durkincomputing.com/FreeACTAddons.aspx

That should allow you to run at 125% again.

Ben.

JM
Nickel Contributor

Thanks Ben for the tip,

Not sure reading his fixes if it will address my Contact Layout that has lots of fields packed tight which in 125% skews it all.  I thought I read long ago running about 100% could acctually corrupt or do some kind of damage to DB?

It was more important to note this was an inital PC display setting, and not to freak out ACT custom layouts are not going to work on a higher res. and wide screen display.

JM