Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT2013 Premium Slow when changing dates while connected via VPN

Copper Contributor

ACT2013 Premium Slow when changing dates while connected via VPN

This is a problem that has me vexed for the past month so since changing to Outlook365 for our email and I'm turning to the community for any new ideas.

ACT!2013 Premium is working fine when connected to the LAN but when connected via VPN the system takes over 3 minutes to change an appointment or call back date when connected via VPN.  Other changes occur at acceptable speeds (of course VPN is a bit slower than when I'm connected to the LAN, but only a second or two at most).

We changed over from a POP email system to Office365.com at about the same time but this feature is not related to email as we do not sync contacts/calender from ACT to Outlook (Outlook email is synced for notations in ACT! but that feature has not been functional since switching to the Office365 online Exchange Server)

Specs:

ACT!2013 Premium for Windows with Web access

Outlook from Office365 online (Exchange Server) is being used (we have also lost the automatic posting when sending/receiving emails since changing to Outlook365)

Laptop Workstation is Windows 7 Professional and the database is on a Server 2003 system.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT2013 Premium Slow when changing dates while connected via VPN

Hi,

i assume you are accessing the database via the windows client.

when using a vpn, you should not use the windows client via a vpn.

the reason is, when you are in the local network a ping (packet to your server back again, takes ~1ms) depending on your vpn you may have a ping up to 400 ms)

so using ACT via VPN you should only use WEB, Terminalserver or Sync with a local database)

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

We use the CISCO VPN and then operatie Windows 7 Professional as normal.  Of course the VPN is a slight bit slower but perfectly manageable for all operations EXCEPT changing a silly little ole date - then it seems to hang for over three minutes and that seems a bit unusual when all other operations complete within a second or two, which is certainly acceptable even in todays "blink and it's done" age of high speed technology.

I will try to see if the SYNC will be acceptable to "THE BOSS" as he doesn't like to access the WEB access version because, and I quote, "The screen is different from mine and I'm just not comfortable with it.".  If I were to set the system to SYNC every 15 to 30 minutes then he would likely be just as functional as if he were "live" on the network as this is only a five user database ... but Terminal Services is also an option as we are not using either of the TS licenses on the Server on any regular basis.

Thanks for the input, I'll post to see if the work around is satisfactory.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi TJ,

when creating a Activity, then you have ~ 1000 packets going back and forward. if you check your ping in a local network (from the pc to your server) you probably see >as one (1) ms.

using your VPN, you will have at least 20-30 ms probably more.. so at this point it is a very easy math ... 1000 x 30 ms, (or more depending on your speed) and there you will see the time that act needs to fullfill the job..

beside of this, we also did see datalos when using act via the Windows client via a VPN, so we strongly recomend to all customers not to go this route.

instead of using Terminal-Server, you might also want to consider just to RDP into a local PC.

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Bronze Contributor

My bet is this is tied to the Office 365.  When you change activities, particularly ones linked to Outlook, it wants to notify meeting receipients.  There may be a lot of traffic going back and forth to send out meeting invites/cancellations/etc.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

I was willing to bet on it being tied to Office365 as well but I have contact sync and calender sync not enabled (boxes unchecked) but that doesn't mean that there isn't something else going on in the background that I'm unaware of so I've even taken the additional step of unlinking the email association between Outlook (local client) and ACT! 2013.  I'll be testing this on Thursday night as this is the company owners laptop so it functions as his workstation while he's at work and is a VPN laptop when he leaves for work or "workations".  I'll be posting some updates on Friday (hopefully).

Copper Elite Contributor

TJ,

no matter what is causing this, (outlook or something else) it is not recomended to share a Database via a VPN.

you may want to visit the other related thread, where other ACC are also stating very clear that this is not recomended. As stated, we did see customer databases where a share via VPN did cause a loss of DATA

http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Trying-to-connect-and-share-to-our-other-office-still-not/td...

so if your Boss wants the same interface, and is refusing to login via RDP, then the only way to cover this, in a recomended way is to use the Sync.

Regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040