Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT won't open after re-naming PC

ACT won't open after re-naming PC

Hi All, I've got a laptop with ACT Premimum 2013 on it.  The previous user has left the company so I've re-named the PC and now when I try to open ACT to install a new RDB for the new staff member, ACT is still looking for the old PC name.  See image attached for the error.  

Can anyone direct me to how to correct this?

Thanks

Ray

russell.jpg 

Re: ACT won't open after re-naming PC

On that screen, click on the button "Open/Share Database" on the top.

Then choose "My database is not listed" on the bottom left of the new window that appears.

Then navigate to the location of your database, but instead of opening it, on the right you have the option "Act! Database (*.PAD)". Click there and instead choose "Act! Database (*.ADF)". Open the database ADF file.

After that it should be OK.

Act always makes a .PAD file which has information about the database like the computer it's located on (computer name). So when changing the computer name if you try to open the PAD file (which act does by default) it won't find the computer. By choosing to open the ADF file (which is the database itself) Act will remake the .PAD file.

Bronze Elite Contributor

You may have to delete or rename the existing PAD file before the above answer will work.

Thanks all!  Even after renaming the PAD file, ACT still said it was in use when I tried to open the ADF file.  I ended up closing ACT then navigating direct to ADF via explorer and opened the file and away it went.

Thanks again for your help.

Ray