Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT will run under Linux - here's how

Tuned Listener

ACT will run under Linux - here's how

Having run the beta of Win 7 I am of the opinion it is not much better than Vista and XP is far better than both in terms of speed, reliability and ease of networking. So I experimented with Linux on my Laptop. The footprint on my machine is less, it is faster and the applications are mature and largely free. However there are several windows applications I cannot replace - Act! and MS Expression.

I installed Ubuntu Linux V. 9.10. I then installed Sun VirtualBox which allows you to load a virtual machine that will run any other OS. I chose XP (which incidentally would not load direct on any of my machines due to driver incompatibility.)

Download Sun Virtualbox (which is free) and setup a VM for it - I recommend that you give at least 1024 memory and maybe 100G disk space depending on how many windows apps you may want. You can share your data files between windows and Linux so you do not need separate space for them so you may need less disk space in the VM.

There are lots of parameters to modify how you run it but you can make resizeable windows on the Linux desktop and cut and paste between OS's.

Act can also sync across the local network to a windows desktop OR a windows desktop running within Linux.

Happy to help - there are lots of resources working on upgrades and improvments to both linux and Virtualbox so I expect even more. Only issue I have seen so far is with video streaming. If you go to full screen mode the video freezes.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT will run under Linux - here's how

So, it's still running under Windows :-)

There are a few vm hypervisors that you can use

BTW: I can understand ACT! (nothing really comparable under Linux)... but why Expression? Lots of more powerful editors on Linux.

Tuned Listener

Yeah but XP would not load direct on my laptop nor desktop. Vista and 7 are bloatware and XP is stable. I have had all sorts of wierd things running Act under Vista and under 7 it suddenly inherited numeorus problems for no apparrent reason.

I like expression so am happy to stay with it. 

I would be curious to see how it runs in WINE.

I think I will try it later. I have karmic on one of my laptops. 

Did you do anything special to get it running inside the virtual XP install? I've tried several times and each time XP freezes upon the shutdown that occurs after installing mssql. When I restart XP the desktop comes up and within 10 seconds the OS reboots.
Nickel Super Contributor

The following kb article should resolve the blue screen/reboot issue on install.

"Blue Stop Error and System Crash When Installing ACT! by Sage 2010"

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2544...

Tuned Listener

Hi Airlite,

Would gladly take you up on your offer to help.

I'm trying to install ACT! 2010 on my Laptop (in a Sun VirtualBox running Windows XP SP2) but it (the ACT! 2010 installation) seems to keep crashing on me at the SQL Server installation stage...giving a lightning quick BSOD, and then rebooting of Windows.

BTW, I'm using the Windows 64 bit version of VirtualBox....since my primary/host OS is Windows 7.

Do you have any idea what might be causing the ACT! installation to crash every single time? I have tried with different versions of VirtualBox (including 2.X, which apparently complies with the minimum system requirements...per this URL: ACT! 2010 System Requirements)

and I've even had someone try it on VMWare v 7.X....same problem there as well.

Now, I must say that (and I'm not sure that this matters but) I've been trying to install the "standard" version of ACT! 2010...whereas the link above says that it's Minimum System Requirements for the "Premium" version of ACT! 2010. Does that mean that the standard version will not install/work in/with VirtualBox and/or VMWare?

Another thing I was thinking of trying was to dual boot my laptop with Win 7 as the first OS....and since I've kept 25GB HD space unallocated...I would install Ubunto 9.10 on that partition and then try what you did i.e. install VirtualBox for Linux and then create a Win XP VirtualBox within that and try installing ACT! that way instead. Any maybe I should try installing the Premium version instead.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Cyril

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello smartact,

For the BSOD issue you are having with your XP VM, please see the following Knowledgebase article:

Blue Stop Error and System Crash When Installing ACT! by Sage 2010

You basically need to update to XP install on your VM to SP3.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Thanks Greig,

Before I posted.....I didn't scroll down enough to see AJones' reply, wherein he had provided the same URL to the KB article that you suggested.

Anyways, I'm trying it out now...hope it resolves my problem.

Best,

Cyril