Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! v21 Update 4 sometimes freezes when adding a New Opportunity

Copper Contributor

ACT! v21 Update 4 sometimes freezes when adding a New Opportunity

[ Edited ]

My company updated ACT! from v20 Update 7 to v21 Update 4 this week and we spent three days on the phone with technical support, trying to get everything working correctly. One thing that remains an issue is that ACT! sometimes freezes when I'm adding a New Opportunity. It's happened twice in the last two days, but not every time I've added one. Yesterday, it froze when I clicked on the Group tab in the Opportunity, and today it froze when I clicked the Add button in the Product/Services. What's peculiar about the freeze is that the information in the 'Association' box frantically blinks while the mouse wheel is spinning. The mouse continues to spin and the Association box continues to blink until I force ACT! to close in the Task Manager. After reopening ACT! both times, I was able to finish adding the details to the Opportunity without any issues. Has anyone else experienced this?

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! v21 Update 4 sometimes freezes when adding a New Opportunity

After posting this, the very next time I tried to add a New Opportunity, it froze again while clicking the Add button in the Products/Services tab. (refer to description and screen shot in original post)  I guess it's time to call support again.

Copper Contributor

After a few more hours with ACT! tech support, we discovered that the freezing happens when a different Record Manager is selected for the Opportunity. Even if I change the Record Manager as the last operation when loading the Opportunity, as soon as I exit the Opportunity, the program freezes. If I don't change the Record Manager at all, then there are no issues. I also opened an existing Opportunity that was assigned to another Record Manager and tried to change the Record Manager field and the program froze up.

The ACT! support team finally told me that this is a known issue in ACT! v21 Update 4 and they said it will be fixed in a future update to ACT! v21. Once it's fixed, we'll have to go back and properly assign all of the new Opportunities to the appropriate Record Manager that were misappropriated before.

Copper Contributor

I called support again today about this issue and they had me download and install the following update file, and the issue is now fixed.  ACT! no longer freezes up when changing the Record Manager of an Opportunity.

http://CDN.updates.swiftpage.act.com/updates/21.0/act2100update5.exe

I have similar issues with Act v21 when adding a new contact and even setting to dos. The timing wheel spins, Act “not responding” happens, the “exit” X is red when I try to click to finish the job. Also, I notice if I click a second time or even any other button, the whole Act window “greys” out. After a time it finally starts working again. This appears somewhat random and is extremely frustrating and time consuming. I have the latest update 5 and have gotten no real help from Act tech support yet. I suspect it is a bug that is not fully understood by Act and is being studied. What exactly did you do to solve your problem? Please advise. Gratefully! Rod

@mgagnon wrote:

I called support again today about this issue and they had me download and install the following update file, and the issue is now fixed.  ACT! no longer freezes up when changing the Record Manager of an Opportunity.

http://CDN.updates.swiftpage.act.com/updates/21.0/act2100update5.exe

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi Rod,

I was also running Update 5, but was instructed to run the link they provided me so it would install "over the top" of my v21 Update 5. Have you tried downloading and running this link? http://CDN.updates.swiftpage.act.com/updates/21.0/act2100update5.exe. This is a 97 MB update file, and not the full installation file. The Case # for my issue was 8010848074, in case you're on with tech support and they want to review the notes from my series of calls. I hope this helps!

Copper Contributor

This problem has returned. Last week, our company updated ACT! from Act! Premium Version 21.0 Update 7 to Act! Premium Version 21.1.187.0, Update 1, and now ACT! is freezing up again every time we create a New Opportunity and change the Record Manager to someone else. It also froze up for me at least once when selecting the Groups tab down below in the Opportunity. The results of the freeze are the same as before. The Association section flickers when ACT! freezes. The only solution suggested to me so far was to create a whole new user and move My Record over to the new user, but based on how our call was going, I wasn't comfortable diving into that.

My issue seems to have subsided a bit, however, I have Parallels/Windows 10 VM on a Mac. My issue seemed to be more global after I delved into it more. I noticed the disk usage and memory was increasing to the point other apps were slowing down as well. I increased the memory allotment for the VM and that seems to have helped. So I am not sure if it is a Parallels, Win 10, or Act issue. My guess is that it is a Win 10 issue with services hogging up memory and disk reading/writing and slowing everything down. Also, Norton doing scans and reporting, etc. does not help. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.