Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT v19 Windows 10 Pro - Sending Email Templates Requires Run as Administrator to Work

Copper Contributor

ACT v19 Windows 10 Pro - Sending Email Templates Requires Run as Administrator to Work

Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 1

Outlook 2016 16.0.4229.1024 32-bit

Windows 10 Pro v1703 OS15063.413

In order for me to merge emails from ACT templates, I need to open both ACT and Outlook with elevated permissions - Run as Administrator. It won't work otherwise... 

1. Why? 
  2. Are there steps I can take to fix this issue? 

Thanks...rd

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT v19 Windows 10 Pro - Sending Email Templates Requires Run as Administrator to Work

That's normal procedure to run mail merges as far as I know

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT v19 Windows 10 Pro - Sending Email Templates Requires Run as Administrator to Work

NO, this is NOT the normal way of operation!

A system where you have to run ACT and Outlook in Admin mode has some underlying problem.

Most of the times the problem is caused by improper handling of the ACT!-setup which should only be run under a windows admin, additionally running it with right-mouse-click "Run as Administrator". NEVER only elevate a signed-on Windows user when prompted by the setup. This is not sufficient to let the setup create all the registry entries and program registrations.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Bronze Elite Contributor

rdunlop wrote:

In order for me to merge emails from ACT templates, I need to open both ACT and Outlook with elevated permissions - Run as Administrator. It won't work otherwise... 

1. Why? 

Thanks...rd

Rd,

Have you always found that you needed to do this or is it since upgrading Office i.e. has it ever worked before without running as Administrator?

Do you get any errors if you don't run as Administrator?

What if you run Outlook as Administrator but not Act! as (Windows) Administrator?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

gleo wrote:

rdunlop wrote:

1. Why? 

Thanks...rd

Rd,

Have you always found that you needed to do this or is it since upgrading Office i.e. has it ever worked before without running as Administrator?

Do you get any errors if you don't run as Administrator?

What if you run Outlook as Administrator but not Act! as (Windows) Administrator?

1. It used to work WITHOUT elevated permissions when I used Win 7, Office 2010, and ACT 2013. I believe I began to have problems after upgrading to ACT v16 (still on Win 7) and Office 2013. When I upgraded to Windows 10 pro I also upgraded to ACT v17 and then to v18 and Office 2016 but elevated permissions were still required. I've since upgraded to v19 and the problem still exists... I feel it is a "problem" because using elevated permissions has consequences, such as Outlook not being able to index with elevated permissions, as well as other such issues. 
  2. I used to get errors without elevated permissions but under Win10, ACT v19.2 and Office 2016, I don't get an error message; ACT just hangs and I have to kill the process. 
  3. Both have to be run as administrator in order for the merge to Outlook or Word to work. 
Copper Contributor

Another reason why I do not want to use Outlook 2016 with elevated permissions, I am unable to use instant search, as this feature is disabled (see attached screenshot). arggg...Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 2.02.52 PM.jpg

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

My guess is that what you are experiencing is Microsoft's increasing clampdown on security. Since Office 2007 this has been ramping up and with the release of Office 2016 things are tighter than ever.

One of the areas worth being aware of is Microsoft's trust center and trusted locations. This document gives you some insight: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-remove-or-change-a-trusted-location-7ee1cdc2-483e-4cbb-...  into that.

What you could try is take the mail merge template and move it to say your desktop and try a merge from there and see what happens.  

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

Thanks but that setting is only available in Word - not Outlook. 

I will try storing a template file on the desktop and opening both Outlook and ACT with regular permissions and see hat happens. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I experience. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

rdunlop wrote:

Thanks but that setting is only available in Word - not Outlook. 

Yes but Act! uses Word to do the merge, the issue is with Word not Outlook  

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

Hmm... Okay I'll give is a try