Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! v18 fails to address hi res screens

Copper Contributor

ACT! v18 fails to address hi res screens

It is with great regret and disappointment that I must report that ACT! v18 DOES NOT work on a Surface Pro 4.

This new version is a disgrace if we consider that that both Windows 10 and Office 2016 have been available for testing to anyone who wanted to enrol in the Insider Program.  Why not just patch the older v16 or v17 as a courtesy to your customers instead of trying to get them to upgrade without any real improvements.

For those that want to use modern hi res notebooks or hybrids or monitors, I suggest that you reconsider ACT! as I don't think it will ever be capable of supporting modern businesses until it is rewritten to Microsoft recommendations/specifications that are designed to easily scale interfaces.

There is supposed to be a work around by setting the resolution to 100% and screen size to a smaller size (defeating the optimum settings for the Surface Pro 4 and decreasing the work area). This does not work! The Calendar is completely scrambled with many mini month calendars and no tabulated view to actually add appointments.

Sorry I can't be more positive but really this is not a solution for a single practice psychologist even though there are some helpful features in older ACT! versions (though very rough and full of glitches) that can link clients to reports, emails and marketing. It also has ability through add-ins to really do field calculations and link to financial software. It just seems like so many products, marketing promises the earth but is selling a product that it struggles to develop and support.

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! v18 fails to address hi res screens

I'm so disappointed to hear this.  I have a 4k resolution laptop (XPS 15) and Act is the only program I use that doesn't play nice with higher resolutions.  Not to mention all of the other little issues I've been having trying to get Act to work with Office 2016 and Windows 10 - it's a joke really that someone should have to go through the hurdles we go through just to have a functioning and effective CRM application.

I'm now having to rethink what we are going to do.  I work with a team of 4 and we've relied on Act.  Only reason we stuck with it is because of the difficulty we may have transferring historical activity and our notes to a new CRM, but perhaps its worth revisiting.  

Do you know if they have indicated any hot fixes or service packs would be released for v17 or v18 to address the DPI issue?

Bronze Super Contributor

his has been suggested in another thread:

Instructions on how to set system wide fonts on Microsoft Surface Pro 3 The following settings need to be configured in order for Act! to display properly on a Microsoft Surface Pro3: Right-click on the Act! application icon; Select the Compatibility tab; Check the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" checkbox In PC Settings, set Display Resolution to 1280x800 In PC Settings, set Display Scaling to 100%" If you find that tapping tabs in the layout is difficult, you can resize them by following the steps below: In Act!, click Tools > Design Layouts, then select the layout view you are using In the Layout Designer, click View > Properties Window Click the Tabs section in the layout In the Properties window, ensure that the drop-down reads Tabs (TabControl) Under Appearance, change the font from 8pt to 12pt.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

I think the original poster's intent is to have native 4K resolution without having to downscale the resolution or mess with fonts in order to properly see the content from the app. It defeats the entire purpose of having a high resolution monitor or laptop.

Your workaround above is what most of us having been doing on 4k displays but it seems absolutely insane to me that they just finished their development cycle for a new paid upgrade to v18 and not addressed this issue that many are now facing because of the proliferation of high resolution displays.
Administrator

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We've posted some further details about this issue on other threads, but I thought this would be useful to share here as it’s becoming increasingly important for us to resolve.

As some background to the problem, we made a decision earlier in the life of Act! around the technology we use to display it. While this was the best option at the time, the higher resolutions and advanced display options allowed by modern hardware and operating systems can cause issues. Basically Act! doesn't always ‘scale’ correctly to fit the display.

In recent update we've made product improvements where possible and as mentioned above in this thread there some workarounds which can help, however the user interface of Act! needs to be rewritten to fully resolve the issue. This is significant development work which can only be delivered in a major release (as opposed to a hotfix or service pack), however we are currently researching this. As soon as we have further information or timelines we'll be sure to update all related forum posts and announce this to customers.

I hope this information helps.

Stuart 

Hi,

I have to admit that I am more than disappointed with ACT v18.

Running a Surface Pro (the first version - 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD and 64 GB SD-RAM card - upgraded with no problems from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) and did a clean install to ensure that there was no legacy OS issues.  All running fine and have ported some old applications written in Delphi XE2 with no problems - these even use old Paradox tables and Borland Database Engine (BDE) which runs just fine.

My own applications (and I am not a professional programmer) have no issues at all with screen resolution - things just become hard to read when the screen resolution is very high.

I am using the Surface Pro as a test PC, simply because I don't want to ruin my main system (which runs Windows 7 and ACT v16).

Downloaded a demo version of ACT! v18 Premium (including 5 hot fixes and 2 *upgrades* and it is still a disaster.  Installed Durkin DPI Fixer to try and sort things out - slight improvement but this version of ACT is the worst to date. - and I've been using ACT since version1 (a long time ago).

We were just on the point of upgrading from v16 to v18 - but I will not be recommending this unless ACT gets this issue fixed.  It's their problem - not the users'!

IMHO ACT/Swiftpage have to stop making excuses and fix this issue.  Windows 10 has been on the market for almost a year....

PLEASE GET THIS FIXED - OTHERWISE WE WILL HAVE TO USE ANOTHER CRM.

THERE IS A FIX!

I found this fix today...

https://twelvethree.com/act-resolution-dpi-and-display-settings-problems/

Have tested it on my Surface Pro and it seems to work just fine.

Pity ACT didn't tell anyone about this...

Administrator

Hi ajh1966,

We're currently in the final stages of internal testing for the v18.1 service pack, which includes a fix for the high DPI issue. This will be released shortly.

There have been multiple threads started on this subject on the Community, the main one being here, where I've also highlighted the current workaround and fix.

I apologise for not updating this particular thread when this was previously discovered.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Act! v18.1 has been released today. This includes a fix for this issue among many other improvements.

You can find the US/CA updates in the Download Center, or below for the UK/EU updates:

UK

Act! 18.1 Pro - UK

Act! 18.1 Premium - UK

Act! 18.1 Premium Web - UK

EU

Act! 18.1 Pro - EU

Act! 18.1 Premium - EU

Act! 18.1 Premium Web - EU

See the What's New page for feature info, or this Knowledgebase article for more detailed update info.

Copper Contributor

Where is the Australian update?