Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ACT! v17 in WIndows 10 crashes when trying to create custom menu

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Re: WORKAROUND for ACT! v17 on Windows10; crashing when creating custom commands

Hello All,

I have run into the same exact problem (shutdown when working with custom command) on a recently imaged laptop with W7 Pro, SP1 and ACT Prem 16.0.291.0.  I had not had this issue on my previous laptop, loaded in the same way.

I've tried the workaround, entering the file path manually, but the new menu item does not execute (it's a report).  when I try to browse and select and then Add Command, it shuts down the program.

Has anyone else had success in working with settings or in developing a different workaround?

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: WORKAROUND for ACT! v17 on Windows10; crashing when creating custom commands

[ Edited ]

Hi jbade,

Before troubleshooting further, I would suggest updating you Act v16 to SP3, available under Updates in our Download Centre.

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

thanks gary.  plan is to update tonight so will see how things work tomorrow.  cheers.

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

the workaround (removing the appropriate .NET Framework) worked well Friday afternoon.  took us about 1-1/4hrs to get it done.

Turned off computer for weekend.

Started this AM.  Got message about needing .NET Framework

IT made a registry edit to disable .NET 4.6.1 update and installed .NET 4.6

ACT ran well till I logged out to move to another area

Tried to start and ACT shuts itself down.

Hoping someone has some insights.  Gary?

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

PS: IT was not able to load the SP3 update last week.

Highlighted
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi jbade,

Unfortunately Act v16 is not compatible with .NET 4.6 on Windows 7. I would suggest installing .NET 4.5.2.

You can find a detailed compatibility chart in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767

After downgrading .NET, it is necessary to uninstall and reinstall Act! For information on how to uninstall or install Act!, refer to the following knowledgebase articles:

How do I uninstall Act!?

Answer ID 37318

How do I install Act!?

Answer ID 37029

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Gary - thank you for the last suggestion to downgrade to .NET 4.5.2.  ACT seems to be working well now, including when I make a custom command.  Thank you for the great help.

Highlighted
Administrator

No problem!
Glad to hear you're up and running again.
Highlighted

Re: ACT! v17 in WIndows 10 crashes when trying to create custom menu

We are experiencing this same behavior with Act! Premium v16.  It occurs in Windows 7 after the .Net framework is upgraded to version 4.6.1.  This recently occurred with the March 8th 2016 Microsoft Updates so I'm guessing many users are now having this problem, not just those that have upgraded to Windows 10.  The workarounds mentioned in this thread seem to work for this scenario as well.