Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT v17 hangs AFTER the splash screen

ACT v17 hangs AFTER the splash screen

Migrating office from PCs to Macs running Parallels. All Windows-based programs came over just fine in migration (Parallels transporter), but ACT wouldn't launch. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ACT multiple times, cleaning out registry each time. ACT is hanging on a white screen after the splash screen disappears.

I've got good network connectivity to the mapped network drive of the ACT server (a Windows 2008 Server) and have tried launching the PAD files and ADF files directly - same result. The Windows machine is a Windows 7 Pro unit.

I don't get the option to OPEN any files, I simply see white screen with ACT logo at the top. So, it doesn't appear to be making a call out to open any files - it just hangs. We have ACT running on other macs in the office using Parallels, so this is an isolated issue. And, I know that calling Swiftpage will result in them saying they cannot support it running in Parallels. I get that.

I've also done the TOOLS >> DATABASE >> CHECK & REPAIR this morning.

We have a 20 user subscription to ACT now, after having perpetual licenses for a while. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT v17 hangs AFTER the splash screen

[ Edited ]

I did see the same with VMWARE  (when cloning a VM)

i did find, sometimes if you have several drives, due to the cloning the drive mapping changes, this will cause the issue, so you would have to revert the mapping back to the same you did have on the Source

also using act without the SQL instance helps,

and if all that is not helping, you need to uninstall Act (use the act uninstaller) and then Clone the pc, and then install act again.

regards

Ingo

www.crmaddon-factory.com

ACC since 1995

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

I tried cloning and making sure the original mapping was right. That didn't work. Next I will try uninstalling ACT, cloning and then reinstalling. Very frustrating as I got ACT working on Parallels before, so the problems are frustrating. 

Appreciate the point in the right direction. Thanks!

Silver Super Contributor

I think that is usually a permission issue.  Make sure that System and Network Service have access to the folders where the database is stored.  Add in whatever user you are logging in as too just in case.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Elite Contributor

It could also likely be a licensing issue. You will need to stop the protexis service, delete all files in the folder "C:\ProgramData\ACT\ActData" and restart protexis/Act. At this point, you should see the registration window and you should be able to start using act after re-registering.

Ahsan Khalid

Chief Technology Officer
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.
www.keystroke.ca

Thanks. I will give that a try as I've tried the other suggestions - same problem. I'll let you know.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I take it you have tried running ACT as the windows network administrator on this machine?

My co-worker was able to get it working. Essentially, he did an in-depth version of several of these suggestions:

Removed ACT. 

Scrubbed the registry to delete anything related to ACT.
Found and deleted all ACT folders in various places.

Removed the Protexis service and deleted it's registry keys.
Reinstall ACT as if it were never on the machine.

I didn't transfer one of the PCs into Parallels and did a clean install of windows and installed ACT and never had a problem. So, clearly it has issues with migrating windows to that Parallels environment. Thanks for the help.