Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ACT! v17 Windows10 crashes when trying to attach document, document link or anything in document

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT! v17 Windows10 crashes when trying to attach document, document link or anything in document

Brittany,

I did a clean install from Windows 10 CDROM after I removed all partitions and let Win10 recreate them and the UEFI system.  After Win10 I turned off allowing MS from installing updates then installed ACT Prem 2013 V15.1 HF4 which installed SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 and .NET 2.0.

Refering to this MS page it reads that you can run SQL 2008 with Win10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681562

I removed SQL 2008 form Program Files and found and installed Eval SQL Server 2014 but the problem is in SQL configuration manager there is no ACT7 instance.

So can you confirm in fact SQL 2008 even if you installed SP2 or if a SP3 this is going to be a problem and if so how can I get 2014 licensed and installation steps?

JM

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! v17 Windows10 crashes when trying to attach document, document link or anything in document

Hello,

on first looks this hotfix seems to work. It also seems to have fixed the issue with custom menu/custom command.

JM
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Metalco,

Correction I saw your older post of what you have.

Can you confirm working Win10 Home?
Running ACT premium 15 or 17?
In program files what sql server version and SP's plus and what .NET installed?
You could screen capture if running V15.1 so I can see differences and why I can't get documents tab to work.
I'm premium 15.1 HF4 on win10 home.

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

What I ended up doing is upgrad before this month deal ended going through my ACT consultant for $380 (pay 1 year instead of the monthly $19ish to knock off  about 2 month worth of payments) going from Prem 2013 (V15.1) to a 2 user Prem V17.2 annual license with one year support and free upgrades.  I may switch within a month and pay the difference for the one time license to own for every that version what is called annual perpetual license for now $250 each user license I think they can credit some of my Annual towards it.  If I feel after V18 comes out I will not need support or need to keep upgrading ACT for several years.

In the end I was sorted locked into Win 10 did not want to go back to Win8.1.  Also ACT 2013 V15.1 installs SQL Server 2008 R2 which MS$ states not compatible with Win10.  Only SQL 2012 and up which you can see in Add Remove Program Files ACT V17.2 installs a couple SQL 2014 and one SQL 2012.  

I did get on Win10 ACT 2013 and Documents tab to work, but only after much heart ache and for a short time. Also no fool proof method to say to all users I can make V15.1 work on Win10. Also again since SQL 2008 not compatible and I did not hear ACT! would offer a method how to upgrade just the SQL part.

Installed V17.1 and then the Hot Fix0 and all went smooth and so far no issues with ACT! or my Office 2007, was told Office 2013 is OK but not yet for Office 2016 . AFTER I first removed ACT 2013, ACT Network removed all SQL 2008 from Add/Remove Program Files (you need to stop SQL services first) then reboot to install V17.2.

JM

Copper Contributor

Here is the info:

ACT! Pro v17 (same as Premium but different payment option as I understand)

Windows10 Pro at my office

Windows10 Home at Laptops and some other machines I used to test

Same results in Windows10 Home and Pro

Issues fixed by last hotfix Swiftpage had released

JM
Nickel Contributor

Metalco,

Thanks for your configuration info. What version of Office you running?

Now on my Win10 Home, ACT V17 SP2 / Hot Fix 0, and Office Prof 2007.

When I do mail merge from Word Save As the first time no issue but repeat step then Word hangs after closing Word I have to close ACT because I can't do another Merge, so I get a pop up window Save Changes- There are opened documents, Do you want to save changes- Yes, No, Cancel.  I select Cancel since Y or N does nothing but on Cancel then ACT close.

Actually still available (hard to get) but the differences between Pro and Prem   www.act.com/en-uk/products.

ACT! is offering Pro but really only to the Certified Consultants that know of big accounts that want to upgrade that still don't need the extra bells in order to save money.  In the end ACT! will phase Pro in order to simplify versions and improve support since there are multiple syncing to devices to contend with and moving more to a subscription base of products.

If it allows them to focus resources to kick out better product and faster turn around time on bugs in this day an age of Cloud and handheld devices so be it.

JM 

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Since Swiftpage took over I am all confused. I don't like monthly or annual licensing plans. So I told the sales person, since we are ACT users since 1992 which is for over 24 years, I just want to keep going as we do. I understood the only difference between Pro and Premium is the way you pay.

However, over the years I highly customized our ACT! with custom screens, tracking our order process. Automatically calculating dates with the use of Automatic Field Calculations. On top of that a bunch of custom menues for queries, letters and reports.

Having said that, I haven't seen any added features or missing features I had before. Added once great for us is the Google Integration for which I used CompanionLink in the past. (And it looks ACT! is actually using CompanionLink telling from the setup screens).

Our version now is ACT! Pro Version 17.2.217.0

We are using MS Office Professional 2007

I just checked a mail merge. I checked a single template as well as a mail merge with a current lookup. It appeared to work fine. My lookup only was 15 contacts for testing purposes. I didn't try with the entire +13k contacts.

JM
Nickel Contributor

Metalco,

Thanks again can you do just for one contact a mail merge using your custom template by saving it as DOC, DOCX or PDF then close Word and repeat that say 4 times to see if on Word, Save As it then no longer pop's up the dialog window where to save (for me Word hangs) I must have Win-10 corruption or ACT V17.2 now stepping on Words Save as dialog box.

I know I was getting lost as well.  

Based on what you said and want its now called a perpetual license like buying Office 2007-2013 (note 2016 not yet stable).  ACT! must have sold you the Pro costs less than Prem. to keep you happy since you don't need Premium even with all your custom stuff.  Because your not running on a PC a Primary DB with Network / or Internet Remote Sync service, no need for advanced scheduler for backups or maintenance, you don't plan on exceeding more than 10 user licenses, you don't need Group collaboration or Field level security controls, manager a Group/ Teams or dash board, no need for a web or Cloud accessible DB, no Mobile support since your fine with Companion Link. Lastly now I don't know if still the case, but the DB will fall off if it grows past 2GB (file attachments not counted towards that) run ACTDIAG to see your size.

You pay a flat price for either the upgrade (if no more than two versions from latest release) or a new license.  Both offers 1 year support and version upgrade.  You run that version as long as you like.  If there comes a day that version is not cutting it (like another major windows OS upgrade) and the latest release is more than two versions from yours you will pay for another full price perpetual license per user.  

As they are making transition to a annual plan business model (much like Office 365).  The Premium/Web Annual License program currently can be paid monthly around $25 per user, less while their promotion to upgrade for $19 will soon or by Nov. 2015. You can save money paying 1 year up front which knocks off about 2 months from a monthly payment plan. Then there are some extra's they can add to Annual if you want your DB hosted on ACT! servers and get Web based access.

I hope I did not loose you but sounds like they supported you and did not over sold you. Just not sure how long Pro will be around.since they don't talk about it on the ACT website as one of the products.  That is fine as long as you hook up with an ACT consultant that could offer a Pro version to the small business/end users.

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

Metalco,

Well no need to run the multiple mail merges to see if Word hangs after the 3rd or more try. All of the sudden while on hold to talk to support I no longer have the problem.  beats me I did no changes when I was in the que.

JM

Copper Contributor

No Problem. anytime. Let me know if anything else. Things have gotten a lot more complex vs. 20 yrs ago. At times we may be able to "workaround" "fix" and who know what, but even the best, including actual coders, may not know the "why.

On the bright side: I like the forum here. Very productive. Eventhough Swiftpage got blindsided by some Windows 10 thing, they did manage to fix it.
And, in my opinion, Windows10 is a winner in terms of stability, usability and feel "lighter". So as I stayed with Windows7 and skipped/avoided WIndows 8/8.1 Windows 10 seems to workout well in our office. (Non withstanding the sales pitches for office and privacy holes and intrusions which can be turned off)