Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT v17.1 database keeps unsharing

Copper Contributor

ACT v17.1 database keeps unsharing

I've searched for similar issues but found nothing that solves this recent problem.

On a system, recently "upgraded" to Windows 10, the main ACT! v17.1 (with Hotfix 4) database keeps unsharing itself. It could go for a day or just an hour. All connected network computers come up with a message that the database is not shared. Everything worked as it should before the change from Windows 7.

If I check the server, it shows that the database is not shared. If I click on the SHARE button, a pop-up comes up saying that if I unshare the database, other network computers will be unable to access it--obviously it thinks the database is shared even though the button says the opposite. If I click OK then click the SHARE unbutton again, the database is shared and the button turns to UNSHARE, as it should (for a while).

I have checked the usual culprits, antivirus (Norton) and Windows Firewall. Disabling both makes no difference. Running ACT as administrator does make any difference. Unfortunately, going back to Windows 7 is not an option.

Any ideas?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: ACT v17.1 database keeps unsharing

Is your database on an external drive?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

No, it's on the C: drive of the server.

I forgot to mention that ACT Scheduler is not running (seems to be an issue in other similar posts).

Silver Super Contributor

I read that shares becoming unshared can be a result of the LanmanServer (Server) service starting up before another service which needs to start up before it starts up.  You could try using an automatic delayed start on the LanmanServer (Server) and see if that fixes the problem.  Run services.msc and then right click on the service called Server and then set it to automatic delayed start.  I don't know if that will fix it but if stopping and restarting that service when the shares are missing makes them show up then you know that is the issue.  This has to be done on the machine hosting the shares.

Post back and let us know if that fixes it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Elite Contributor

As this worked with Windows 7 OK I would be tempted to uninstall ACT and then reinstall it to see if this resolves the issue.

Copper Contributor

Actually, given Windows upgrade track-record, that was one of the first things I tried. Reinstalling it clean did nothing. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled several other programs that I thought might be conflicting.

So far, Windows 10 has not been impressive in looks (interface looks like it was designed by a 10-year old) or performance so I'm delaying the inevitable format and clean reinstall as long as possible.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I've tried the delayed start and will monitor the system. I'm in and out of the office so it might be a few days before I can check on the results.

I'll let you know.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I expect you have seen this but just in case here is the link to share problems

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19876/kw/database%20unshared/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ0NzI...

Also worth reading the ACT and Windows 10 info. My advice for clients currently is don't upgrade to windows 10 yet Major SP for Windows 10 due soon. (Or so I have been told.).