Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT share permissions: Everyone (Full Contorl)

ACT share permissions: Everyone (Full Contorl)

The share permission on our shared DB uses the Everyone group (w/ Full Control). This means that any network device connected to the same network has full read/write access to all data in this directory. From a security standpoint, this is bad. I need to be able to use a different group, specifically designed for just ACT users.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT share permissions: Everyone (Full Contorl)

Creating Groups of Windows Users is a good way to provide controlled access to applications and is a common way to do it on larger domain sites.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

That's what I am trying to do. The problem I am having is that the ACT system insists on using the group Everyone as its share. I've tried creating a special "ACT users" group in place of the Everyone group (i.e. Removed the Everyone group then add the "ACT users" group, complete w/ Full Control permissions). This does not work. The share only works if the group Everyone is used.

It's as if there's a permission setting somewhere in the ACT SQL db itself. If there's no Everyone group, there's no share. If I am right, then I need to know how to make the change in the SQL db itself.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The client cannot access the shared db when trying to open the db. They get a message stating that db needs to be shared.

What's the "exact" error - there are a number of similar ones, but they indicate different issues

Cannot find database supplemental files folder (our database) files in this location (our ACT server). This could be a problem with the share, or the folder may not exist. Please contact the administrator of your database.

Note that the "shared" act database folder can be accessed via explorer and does have full read/write privileges to all data of the shared folder.

When the share permissions are changed to use the "Everyone" group, this error goes away.  

You should have full-control, not just read/write - http://tinyurl.com/5fzsbx

Are you on a Domain or a Workgroup?
If on a Domain, is the database on the DC?

- Domain, not workgorup.
- ACT server is not on a DC. Its an XP Pro workstation.
- I have seen the link. It states the below which is making me think there's no way around this issue w/out getting into the SQL db:

"It is recommended the user named Everyone have Full Control permissions to the shared folder. In some cases, it is necessary to add the specific names of the remote users to this Share Permissions list, to ensure that each domain user has Full Control of the shared folder."

Note: I also have a post going on Experts-Exchange. Your last reply was identical to my EE posting. Are you the same person?

There are two sets of rights.  There is a set of rights on the folder and there is a set of rights on the share.  I think need to be set so that the group has access.

Failing that try adding the individual users and see if that works

Yup, same person :-)