Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT - reports guide? Can someone suggest a good book on this?

Re: ACT - reports guide? Can someone suggest a good book on this?

So is there any type of report currently using ACT Premium that can tell me how oftern the 10 web users I manage log on etc?

Hmmm.... none that I know of.  But I'm a newbie when it comes to highler level admin of ACT!.

Well so am I .. so don't feel to bad or alone... Thanks for all your help!
Platinum Elite Contributor

@RichMartinez08 wrote:
So is there any type of report currently using ACT Premium that can tell me how oftern the 10 web users I manage log on etc?

Not how often... but Demo 5 of this freebie Dashboard add-on will why the last time they logged in:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ADN_Downloads&thread.id=66

Roy,

I got my hands on Crystal Reports and attempted to create an OLEDB link.

I got as far as creating the link via EXCEL using info from the Sage knowledgebase.

However, Crystal Reports won't open the .odc file.  

A few questions:

1) Did I have to indicate a specific table for this to happen?  If so, I can retry to create a new link.

2) Do I have to run Crystal reports from the server (where I have the database located)?  I wouldn't think so.

3)How exactly would Crystal Clear Provider allow me access to the ACTIVITY table?  (As this is exactly what I need to report on).

a) would it be independent of Crystal Reports?   (As I've been using the demo of Crystal Clear Essentials).

My next step is to attempt to open reports created with Crystal Clear Essentials with Crystal Reports.  I've been told I can do so.

That's if I can renew my demo 1st.  I don't want to buy unless I can quarantee I can do what I need to.

Ultimate goal is to produce a report with the following logic:

i) look at Contacts and produce list of contacts with a specific Activity (a sales CALL made by my inside reps), report on results.

(So far this is the easy part I can do from ACT reporting)

ii) cross reference the above list with Contacts resulting in a MEETING activity.

(So far, this is still doable with Act Reporting)

iii) cross reference the above list with Contacts resulting in an OPPORTUNITY

This is where I'm getting hung up.  Every attemp I make to custom write this report (or edit exiting reports) results in listing ALL Contacts.  Somewhere in my structuring, it must not be "collapsing if empty", even though it's checked at all levels.  

Ideally, I'd love to be able to nest sub-reports as I think that would do it.    

ON a sidenote:  this sucks as while I'm the one sandbagged with this reporting task... it's not what I do.  UHG!!!

Thanks,

Ian

Nickel Elite Contributor

I got my hands on Crystal Reports and attempted to create an OLEDB link.

I got as far as creating the link via EXCEL using info from the Sage knowledgebase.

However, Crystal Reports won't open the .odc file.  

I believe creating the link using Excel was either for an earlier version of Crystal or the ACT! program. I could not make that work. I've been using Crystal 11 and 2008 and there you need to create the new link in Crystal. Don't select the ACT! option bout go to the OLE DB (ADD) and select the ACT! option there. The trick is that you need to provide the exact path to the ACT! pad file and there isn't any browse available.

A few questions:

1) Did I have to indicate a specific table for this to happen?  If so, I can retry to create a new link.

No. 

2) Do I have to run Crystal reports from the server (where I have the database located)?  I wouldn't think so.

I don't think so but I'm using it with a local database. 

3)How exactly would Crystal Clear Provider allow me access to the ACTIVITY table?  (As this is exactly what I need to report on).

It won't. The activities table is not revealed in the ACT! OLEDB provider. You need to use the Crystal Clear Provider which extracts activities to and Access table so they can be included in the report 

Ultimate goal is to produce a report with the following logic:

i) look at Contacts and produce list of contacts with a specific Activity (a sales CALL made by my inside reps), report on results.

(So far this is the easy part I can do from ACT reporting)

ii) cross reference the above list with Contacts resulting in a MEETING activity.

(So far, this is still doable with Act Reporting)

iii) cross reference the above list with Contacts resulting in an OPPORTUNITY

This is where I'm getting hung up.  Every attempt I make to custom write this report (or edit exiting reports) results in listing ALL Contacts.  Somewhere in my structuring, it must not be "collapsing if empty", even though it's checked at all levels.  

Ideally, I'd love to be able to nest sub-reports as I think that would do it.    

Nesting sub-reports in the ACT! reports can't be done. However I have done some amazing thing using embedded VB scripts in reports. One of the reports in my custom report package will display ONLY the most recent Call Completed, To-do Done, Meeting Held, and Note for any date range. 

ON a sidenote:  this sucks as while I'm the one sandbagged with this reporting task... it's not what I do.  UGH!!!

Actually I enjoy doing reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

It won't. The activities table is not revealed in the ACT! OLEDB provider. You need to use the Crystal Clear Provider which extracts activities to and Access table so they can be included in the report

Does that mean I need to use Crystal Clear Provider each time I want an updated report on activities integrated with Opportuinities?

Nickel Elite Contributor

The Crystal Clear provider must be installed for the report to run and you run the reports through the menus that the Crystal Clear Provider adds to the report menu. So you need the Crystal Clear Provider to both create and run a report including activities. The Crystal Clear Provider is also a viewer (similar to a runtime module) for Crystal Reports with ACT! so that Crystal Reports doesn't need to be installed on the system where the report is being run.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Someone once mentioned that I could create a report in Crystal Clear Provider, and then open the report template in Crystal Reports.

If that's true, can I then edit the report more, and then resave it back to an ACT report template?  My goal here is to use the tools to create a report that my superiors can thenrun without jumping through all these hoops.

Ian

Nickel Elite Contributor

Actually it's more the other way around. You can create a report in Crystal Reports that uses the ACT! OLEDB provider and then open an run the report in the Crystal Clear Provider. If you get the Crystal Clear Essentials you can open them in Crystal Reports and edit them though be prepared to do significant reverse engineering if you do.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com