Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT - reports guide? Can someone suggest a good book on this?

ACT - reports guide? Can someone suggest a good book on this?

I need to create some intensive reports for my company.

Can anyone recommend a decent manual I can purchase for this task?

Examples:

I need to be able to sort by:

a) Activity creator

b) client

c) activity type

All the while cross-referencing with marketing campaigns, and meeting/opportunities (in order to report on marketing success rates).

Thanks,

Ian

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT - reports guide? Can someone suggest a good book on this?

There isn't any book that you can get for the ACT! report generator. There are a few knowledge base article covering basic operations. I've considered writing such a book but haven't located a publisher interested in such a book. I do custom report templates and I've done training by remote control.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

I was very frustrated with the reporting tool and eventually moved to Crystal Reports.  I think there is an addon for reporting called Crystal Clear Reporting.  I haven't tried it, but several forum members have recommended it.

Personally, I found that after I went to Crystal Reports I could write whatever reports I needed.  The reporting tool in ACT doesn't give you access to all of the tables or all of the fields. 

What's the learning curve like for Crystal Reports?

I've heard that can be difficult.   Hmmm.. maybe I'll check out Crystal Clear 1st.

Nickel Elite Contributor

The underlying report engine is very good. The scripting capability available allows extending the capabilities significantly. Unfortunately the editor does impose significant restrictions on the data sourcing for the report engine. Hopefully that will change in a future version.

As for Crystal reports, you can access all the ACT! tables with Crystal using the OLEDB provider except the Activity table. For that you need to get the add on called the Crystal Clear Provider from this website.  http://www.adsprogramming.com/products.htm

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

If Roy won't blow "his own horn", I'll do it for him!

You will not find ANYONE better ANYWHERE to train you in report writing with the standard ACT! Report Writer that Roy. He used to be in tech support at Symantec and I had the great honor to sit next to him for a few hours back then when I visited the Eugene office. Since he left to become an ACC, he has continued to amaze with his knowledge and his helpfulness to ACT! users and even to other supposed experts.

He has a range of pre-built reports and labels available from http://www.techbenders.citymax.com/reportandlabels.html

So he can either build the report you need (if it's possible in the ACT! Report Writer) or train you to do what you need.

Much better than any book and you will get a great return on your investment with him.

For any of the Crystal Reports tools, will I need to know the names of tables, etc.... or will that be available with pull-down menus?

As a database/reporting novice, I'd love to find something that's completely GUI driven.  

(It's funny, I'm a good network admin and techie.... but reporting tools are something I just can't wrap my mind around).

I tried the demo for Stonefield Query, and found that WAY to basic, and couldn't create reports that I need.  (Which are not that detailed, really).

Ian

[ Edited ]

SO Roy,

Would you recommend the TechBender module on Running Reports?  Or would I need something more robust? (Personal training, etc....).

Feel free to email directly about this.

Ian Baumel

Panurgy

Sales Engineer

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-16-2008 12:23 PM

Just curious if you ever found a useful book or tool to help your create your reports?  Do you know if there is some method to monitor the number of times a web user has logged in?  Thanks, Rich in Austin Texas

So far I've been using Crystal Clear Essentials.  It has most of the reports I needed.

Now I'm waiting on my company to get me a copy of Crystal Reports so I can edit the canned reports that Essentials has.

I've given up my search for now as this seems to be my short term solution until I need to develope more customized reports.