Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT premium 2012 ALF file size problem

ACT premium 2012 ALF file size problem

Hi

We upgraded from ACT 2011 to 2012 almost a year ago and in the past 5,6 months we were confused about our daily backup file size which kept growing by 20mb per day, sometimes 40mb. so from a 1.5gb zip file 6 months ago we have ended up with a 4gb zip file. Something we noticed that doesn't make sense is that the ALF file is 35GB !!
Our ADF file is 1.7GB.
We tried to recreate the ALF file, so we ditached the database, renamed the alf to alf.old and tried to attach the database (from actdiag page) and it didn't work (it was giving an error message). To be able to open the database again, we had to rename the ALF back to its original name and do a restore from the last backup file and it got attached and openned but still the ALF file remains 35GB.

I am assuming that the ALF file being a log file btw SQL and ACT can't be 20 times of the database size and if this file plays a role in the backup(zip) file then we need to some how reduce its size or get rid of it and make a new one.

I really appreciate any advice here.
Thanks,

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT premium 2012 ALF file size problem

Are you synchronising the database with remotes?

Can you try: Actdiag – check, repair, reindex
You might stop the SQL file and copy the ADF/ALF to another folder and then restart SQL (just in case)

Also in ACTDIAG - Database list - is the Database Options listed as "Simple Recovery" or "Full"?

Thanks for the reply.

Under databases it lists the DB as:

size: 1703  version:14.1.97.0  sync:No  options: full recovery - auto update and create statistics

*other smaller and older DBs options show simple recovery though.

We have never used the sync option, remote users access our VPN and then use IE broswer to log in to ACT.

I can try: Actdiag – check, repair, reindex tonight when users are not connected.
 You said: "You might stop the SQL file and copy the ADF/ALF to another folder and then restart SQL (just in case)" is this a second solution or you mean doing this before the reindex solution?

Also do you mean Stopping SQL service?

Thanks,

Before the repair ... so you have a backup if something goes wrong
Yes, the service

The problem is the full Recovery ... that means it never stops growing. The only way it can be set that way is it someone manually attached it incorrectly

If the repair doesn't change this, do a File | Save Copy As
You'll need to use a new name and re-do the web settings ...

Thanks... I will do the repair, reindex to see if it reduces 35gb file. saving as would be an easy way to go too, but the web settings are not.

Thanks again. I post the result here.

Copper Elite Contributor

Ive seen this happen a few times before and we ended up having to do a file save copy as.  I can''t remember 100% but I think on one of them we had to save as an empty copy, then setup the Users in the new database, and import the other contacts.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

From what I recall last time I saw this ... the repair can temporarily fix it, but only the Save As is permanent (ie changes the Recovery model)

Here's another option ... I've not tried it on an ACT! database, but as you have a backup...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189272.aspx

So I will try the repair and then if not solved, try the save as.. option, but is there any way of exporting and importing (or any other easier way) for the web settings.
If IIS settings all remain the same, what is the steps I have to take to fix the web part, would it be just adding the impersonator user and add the databases?
Thanks.

It's about 5 minutes to add the new database (and remove the old one) ... Web admin under the Tools menu in ACT!