Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT not merging into Word

ACT not merging into Word

[ Edited ]

Act 2017 V19.2 Update 5

One of the Windows 10 machines I have uses Word 2013 and up until today was merging documents just fine.  Today, we got this weird warning.  Restarted ACT then restarted the computer.  When I went into the Document Properties it had the file merging with some program I did not recognize.  I changed it to open with Word 2013.  Now Word act as if it is opening but it does not actually open a document.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT not merging into Word

Maybe your text editor has been changed by accident. See if you still have Word selected. If not change it back. Extras - properties - communication.
Jan Teske
ACC
jbt consulting

That was actually the first thing I checked.  Word will open but it will not open a document.

Copper Elite Contributor

Okay, maybe it is a Word rather than an Act! issue. I would try to check that. If you think it is I'd try an Office repair.
Jan Teske
ACC
jbt consulting
Copper Contributor

We gave up on the Word/Act merge functionality. We are using the WordConnect addon to do our merges (23 pages to ~200 customers at a time). It works 100% better and is MUCH faster than the native merge function and is not that expensive. You might want to look into WordConnect.

No vested interest in WordConnect, just trying to help with something that worked for us!

i uninstalled and reinstalled ms office yesterday and it worked the first time but didn't work after that.  I am switching out the computer and sending the computer into my Tech people to do a full reload of windows on the machine and check for any other issues.  This is my last resort.  My other machine using windows 10 isn't having this issue so I am thinking a glitch in the computer itself.

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Go into Control Panel > Default Programs and make sure ACT! is associated with ADT files and not another windows program.

-Bud

Bud Rice

Executive Business Systems

Pleasanton, CA 94588

.adt is set to a music program but has always opened with word regardless until now.  if I change this to associate with ACT, is the assumption that it will fix the merging problem?  Just want to make sure before I make any changes.

Copper Elite Contributor

No, I don't think so.
Jan Teske
ACC
jbt consulting