Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT not able to access Workgroup Network Computer

ACT not able to access Workgroup Network Computer

I am running ACT Premium  Vers. 17.2.217.0 - on a  peer to peer network with with workstations running Windows 7.  Out of the blue one workstation (out of two on network)  cannot access the shared Windows file location that the ACT database resides on the other computer.....worked no problem until a week ago.. it appears that all the Windows sharing permissions are set correctly on the host computer workstation....I can see on the workgroup network the host computer, but it denies me access now to computer and shared drive/ file that used to work before and were the database info is stored. 

Jon

Employee

Re: ACT not able to access Workgroup Network Computer

In Explorer try typing back-slash back-slash machine name to see if allows you access

also check Network discovery in control panel

2018-03-05_1201.png

also...

Here's how to share a folder on your Windows machine:

Locate the folder you want to share and right click on it..
Choose "Share with..." and then select "Specific People".
A sharing panel will appear with the option to share with any users on the computer or your homegroup. You can also choose to share with "Everyone", which means the files will be accessible on your local network (basically just in your home) to anyone even if they don't have a password. This is convenient but not secure. If you want to choose this option, you can find it by click on the drop down menu towards the top of the panel.

Carl Mag..

thanks...but have tried all you noted...network discovery is on...I have shared the folder and it shows as shared  with "everyone"...as that is easiest for us...only two of us on the network...

Tuned Listener

I am going to put up a new post, but is your act server running win10, and did it just do the 1709 update?

I ask as this past friday, my act server, a workgroup win10 pro computer, working fine with act v20 for the past 2 months did a major update. All of sudden, no one could get on to this computer. Attached computers in the past were just mapped drives onto the shared drive.

When I did a hard remap with the UNC name \\server\sharedrive from a client, it wanted a logon/pwd. So I went back to the act server and added users for each user. I was then able to remap. A colleague who is more network savvy than me conjectured that win10 update has more security, and is no longer allowing this.

I have other issues since this update that I will post about.

Thanks. for info..but no, we are still on Windows 7....

I have determined it is not an ACT issue...but something with my local Windows settings that some how have been changed...

For some reason, on our peer to peer workgroup network within Windows 7, the other computer cannot access the database host computer for anything.....all the permissions and sharing settings appear to be right...and host computer can access the other workstation....so I am still at a loss as to what the issue is.  Will have to call Microsoft tech and troubleshoot I am guessing.  Strange, because it just happened out of the blue when working before with no issues....

Copper Contributor

Disable all firewalls and antivirus software on the Act! server and workstation.

Something may have changed there.