Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server.

I'm running ACT! Premium 2011 on my desktop computer and laptop. When I go to sync, I intermittently get the message "ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running."

On my desktop PC, when I go to Tools > Synchronize Database, Accept Incoming Sync is not checked, and when I go to check it, I get an error saying "Could not start sync server. ACT! has encountered an error ..."

However, if I go to services.msc, it says ACT! Network Sync Service is running.

I could have sworn I've been able to sync with this as is, and now I'm pretty confused and have no idea how to fix this. Can someone please help me get understand how to get this configured correctly once and for all? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MadDog
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server.

You can try adding that port as an exception to your firewall on the server. You can also try a different port like 65101 or 65200. If you go to the command prompt on the server and type in "netstat", you should be able to see if 65101 is open and "listening". If you change the port number from the network sync service box, you will also need to change it on the remote by going to Tools>Manage Connection Information. While your in there, make sure the server name is correct as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hi MadDog Sounds like you might have the ACT! Network Sync Service installed, but you may not have the database added to this. On your computer with the main database, do the following to verify you have the database setup properly for incoming syncs.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Sage ACT! Network Sync Service, and then click Sage ACT! Network Sync. 

or In the Windows Notification area (bottom right of your screen), right-click the Sage ACT! Network Sync Service icon, and select Show/Hide.

Note: If you have already set up the service and you need to make changes to databases or the port number, you need to stop the service first. Right-click the Network Sync Service icon, and select Stop Service. Otherwise, you will lose your changes.

1. In the Sage ACT! Network Sync Service dialog box, do the following:
  • To add a database, click Add. Browse to the location of the database to monitor, and click Open.
  • To remove a database, select it, and click Remove.
  • Click Port to change the default port number for the service to listen to. Type a new port number in the field. Click OK.
  1. Click Start Sync Service to start the service.
  2. Click Exit to close the dialog box.

Note: The service restarts when you restart the computer. When you pause your pointer over the Sage ACT! Network Sync Service icon in the Windows Notification area, a tooltip appears to tell you if the service is running.

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.
800-857-0558, x.310
MichaelK@kqc.ca
www.keystroke.ca

Re: Tools > Synchronize Database, Accept Incoming Sync
This should NOT be checked when using a Network or Internet sync server ... it's only for Application sync
Copper Elite Contributor

OK. The Accept Incoming Sync should NOT be checked. Thank you for clarifying that.

When I check the ACT! Network Sync Service, it IS running AND my database is listed. I just removed and re-added in case there was some kind of problem there.

I re-booted both computers and retried, and I still have the same problem. From what you described, everything seems to be configured OK, but it's still a no go.

This is where I'm stuck. What do I do next?

Thank you for the help.

From the Laptop:
Start | Run | CMD
Telnet Desktop port
*replace "Desktop" with the name of the PC running the sync server and port with the sync port (usually 65100)

What happens?
Copper Elite Contributor

I couldn't get Telnet to work until I found out that in Windows 7, it's disabled by default. Once enabled and run, I typed this on my laptop:

Telnet  \\GLENN-DESKTOPPC 65100, and got:

Connecting To \\GLENN-DESKTOPPC ... Could not open connection to the host, on port 65100: Connect failed.

I'm assuming this indicates a problem, but in Windows Explorer I have no problem accessing my desktop files from my laptop.

What next? Thanks.

Solution
Accepted by topic author MadDog
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You can try adding that port as an exception to your firewall on the server. You can also try a different port like 65101 or 65200. If you go to the command prompt on the server and type in "netstat", you should be able to see if 65101 is open and "listening". If you change the port number from the network sync service box, you will also need to change it on the remote by going to Tools>Manage Connection Information. While your in there, make sure the server name is correct as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

You don't need the \\ before the servername
Try "Ping GLENN-DESKTOPPC" - just to see if the machine is reachable or if it's the port

If ping works, but telnet doesn't, try enabling the ports in the Win7 firewall (both machine) as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1942...

Copper Elite Contributor

Greg, I have to be honest and say I have no clue what you're talking about or why I would want to change the port.

However, when you mentioned firewall, I uninstalled Norton 360 a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with AVG and Windows Firewall. I disabled Firewall, and BAM!, my laptop synced, so the firewall was blocking the connection.

I Googled and found an article here on adding a specific port number, which I used to add port 65100 to allow access.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx#BKMK_WF_msc

Is there anything else I need to add?

Thank you for all the help!