Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! in the Cloud VS. Syncing Databases

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

ACT! in the Cloud VS. Syncing Databases

Hi,

So, my company is looking into different CRM options. We have a corporate office in Ohio and a satellite office in Florida. My question is whether it would make more sense to use the cloud service or just synchronize databases in the offline solution? We would want the corporate office to be able to oversee the actions of the Florida office.

Thanks,

Zac

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author zacclay
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! in the Cloud VS. Syncing Databases

Zacclay,

What you are presented with here are two distinct options:

1. -  The vendor's offering, Sage ACT!, consisting of ACT! Premium for Web (online) and optionally the offline component i.e.  synchronization.

2 - Hosted or what may be called the traditional ASP (application service provider) option, albeit the hosting service providers also provide ACT! Premium for Web as well.

In my opinion, Jon, as a hosting provider, has been straightforward in presenting the options despite he and other hosting providers competing with what Sage ACT! offer. That's commendable.

Returning to your question " So if we were to just go with the offline solution, would we be able to administrate the account in Florida (i.e. could we assign them a lower user level with restricted access and functionality)". It really depends on what you define as 'administrate'. Very loosely, yes you could administer daily tasks that amount to adding new users, selecting what level of access those users have, etc., however anything requiring a change to the structure of the database itself, such as create new fields could not be done by you directly, you would need to have the vendor do that (Sage ACT!). So I would be checking out what the cost is for Sage ACT! services to provide for work that you cannot do directly, even as an administrator. In general, the offline option is somewhat of a disconnect if you are needing to closely monitor the users in a remote office by virtue of the synchronization. So the devil really lies in the detail,if you are going to expand and have say more than 10 users I  think option 2 is a better choice, you have immediate and direct control over the database with the full capability of the administrative functions that an ACT! Administrator user has when accessing the main database via the desktop interface. You don't have that under Option 1.     

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Hi Zac:

Implementing a hybrid solution is really the best approach if you are going to mix a LAN and WAN environment. You'll get the benefit of working offline when you don't have the convenience of internet access. It also provides a level of redundancy in your accessiblity to the database as well as the database itself.  -- Mark

Mark Sanchez
CommQuest Inc.
Certified Act! & Sage 50 Consultant
770-929-3163 x6 (W)
678-570-8255 (C)
Astute Commentator

So,

If I understand you right, we could set up the offline solution for us in the corporate office and then just buy cloud accounts for the Florida office?

So, would we be able to share a database, or would we need to buy a cloud account for the corporate office to be able to access what is happening in the Florida office?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

If for example, cloud means many of the following.

• secure data center
  • Centrally managed backups
  • managed maintenance and upgrades
  • redundancy and fault tolerance
  • Accessible from anywhere there is an internet connection.
  • included support for both connectivity issues and end user questions.
  • Accessibility from a variety of devices (handheld, mac, windows)
  • Accessibility from traveling workers, remote workers and satellite offices

Many of the providers of the ACT Hosting Providers program have these.

Within the contact of ACT specifically, there are three options.

1) Synchronization - program is installed on each machine and data is only as current as the last sync.

2) ACT for Web - a "lighter" version of ACT that provides real time access from some web browsers

3) Virtual desktop via remote desktop or Citrix- Real time access for every one without synchronization.

The real advantage of the ACT program is you have so many choices, on site, off site, sync, web, etc. I'm not aware of any other CRM with so many choices. It's also a platform that you can start having hosted and then take back in house and self managed if you chose.

So specifically with your scenario of an office in Ohio and an office in Florida, only the Virtual desktop office give you real time access to the entire ACT program for your entire team from both offices. Sync provides the full access to the database but gives up the real time part. ACT for Web gives up the full functionality but give real time.

Specifically which you should choose, really depends on your exact needs and the way your team works.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Astute Commentator

So, I guess my confusion comes from this page http://na.sage.com/sage-act/products/sage-act-hosted?WT.mc_id=Home_Mid_Hosted that says ACT! in the Cloud gives you access to ACT! Premium anywhere. Does that not mean that you have all the same functionality as the offline solution? Does that mean something else?

Is this product nothing more than a remote desktop connection to a server running the exact same copy of ACT! Premium that I could buy for a one-time price and not have to pay a monthly fee?

Thanks,

Zac

Silver Contributor

ACT Hosted is ACT for web or ACT sync combined with a very light version called ACT premium Mobile (for handhelds and tablets.

Here is a SAGE KB Document listing features that are available in ACT desktop that are not in ACT for Web

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26742/kw/ACT%20for%20Web%20Difference

Here is a more complete list of ACT hosting providers beyond just the one selected by Sage for the ACT Hosted model.

http://na.sage.com/sage-act/partners/hosting-providers/directory/

Again, some hosting providers, (including us) host the ACT premium desktop version.

(866)710 4228

Astute Commentator

Thank you everybody for your responces, this has helped a lot.

Astute Commentator

So if we were to just go with the offline solution, would we be able to administrate the account in Florida (i.e. could we assign them a lower user level with restricted access and functionality)

Silver Contributor

if I understand your question, yes. if you use the ACT Sync model, the two main things your give up is the ability to add/edit field definitions, and the real time aspect of the program.  Users are also tied to a particular device.

(866)710 4228

Solution
Accepted by topic author zacclay
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Zacclay,

What you are presented with here are two distinct options:

1. -  The vendor's offering, Sage ACT!, consisting of ACT! Premium for Web (online) and optionally the offline component i.e.  synchronization.

2 - Hosted or what may be called the traditional ASP (application service provider) option, albeit the hosting service providers also provide ACT! Premium for Web as well.

In my opinion, Jon, as a hosting provider, has been straightforward in presenting the options despite he and other hosting providers competing with what Sage ACT! offer. That's commendable.

Returning to your question " So if we were to just go with the offline solution, would we be able to administrate the account in Florida (i.e. could we assign them a lower user level with restricted access and functionality)". It really depends on what you define as 'administrate'. Very loosely, yes you could administer daily tasks that amount to adding new users, selecting what level of access those users have, etc., however anything requiring a change to the structure of the database itself, such as create new fields could not be done by you directly, you would need to have the vendor do that (Sage ACT!). So I would be checking out what the cost is for Sage ACT! services to provide for work that you cannot do directly, even as an administrator. In general, the offline option is somewhat of a disconnect if you are needing to closely monitor the users in a remote office by virtue of the synchronization. So the devil really lies in the detail,if you are going to expand and have say more than 10 users I  think option 2 is a better choice, you have immediate and direct control over the database with the full capability of the administrative functions that an ACT! Administrator user has when accessing the main database via the desktop interface. You don't have that under Option 1.     

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog