Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! freezes when attaching PDF

ACT! freezes when attaching PDF

We are using ACT! Premium 2011.  The database is on the Server.  We use Windows 7 on workstations and Server 2008 on server.  Right now when we want to attach a new pdf to a contact page that already has a lot of pdf's attached to it, ACT! freezes up.  Is there a limit to the number of attachments?  Is there a work-around for this?

Re: ACT! freezes when attaching PDF

Climate,

Welcome to the Act! Community forum!

There is no limit on the number of attachments you can put on a contact.  Sometimes I find if the system locks up consistently at the same point, we need to try something different.  So I have some basic questions:

Is this a large PDF?  What I mean by large is several hundred megabytes?

Can you attach any other files to this contact?

Are other contacts affected by this?

How long have you let it sit, and If you let it sit does it eventually give you an error message?

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Billy,

we did find that if you have a lot of attachments in the attachment folder, this may slow down ACT till freezing. we did see this with different customers. if you go via windows to the attachment folder, how long is your pc taking to show the directory? if it is above one second, you might face exactly this problem. we have a solution that can solve your issue, you might want to test it first in a test envoirment.

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

The size of the pdf's are 200kb - 1100kb. The directory does pop up quickly. When it freezes, we can't attach anything else. This only happens with contacts who have a lot of documents already attached. The error message comes up after about 60 - 90 seconds, and then we have to shut down ACT to get it working again. Error Messages are as follows: A Red X across the whole screen, or "the application has encountered an error and has been shut down. Would you like to report the error?" or "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."
Copper Elite Contributor

in that case, i would try to disable virusscanning on the server and the workstation and check out if the problem still exists.if not, you may want to exclude some features/scanning, this depends to the scanner you are using. we found that i.e. bitdefender is working great without interfearing with ACT.

ACC since 1995

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Bronze Super Contributor

This is nothing new. I reported this about a year ago. I increased the GDIs but this didn't help.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

How much computer do you have?  RAM? CPU?  May not be enough?

I always have CPU/RAM Meter Gadget running on my desktop so I can see if something starts hogging my resources.

More than 70% Ram usage is no good. Close ACT! - Stop the SQL ACT7 Server Service and that may free up good amount of Ram.  Be sure to reboot your pc every day to free up RAM..

If you are running low on Ram when this happens, you can add more ram.

You can also add more ram by using a 4 gig usb flash drive and use Microsoft Readyboost.

Reference http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/readyboost 

Also when attaching documents, try attaching a Shortcut instead of the doc. ?

Do this from the Contact Record Document TAB

Add document

Shortcut

-----------cheers - FSBill

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Elite Contributor

If you are looking at limited resources, then we would recomend to look at this KB, you may find some usefull hints

ACC since 1995

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

The workstations have 3.25gb RAM. We are using the shortcuts as a solution right now, but would prefer to attach. (Virus scanning is already disabled.)
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Making progress?  You did not mention the CPU Processor size?  But 3.25 gb RAM probably not enough RAM.

Olders PC's choke up. some older pc's max out at 4 gig of RAM on their motherboard. That is definately a time to try ms readyboost using a 4 gig usb flash drive. Recommend adding 4 gig RAM chip asap to the motherboard. All RAM chips should be same size example:  2 x 4gig RAM chips.  (NOT a 4 gig and a 8 gig together). If you are also running apps such as Office word , outlook, and ACT! and maybe a couple of browser windows open, you need more RAM. Try to get up to 8gig of RAM if you can. The Server needs lots of RAM also. You need at least a 2.2 gig Processor.

Also; Are your workstations using wireless LAN or hardwired LAN?

If using wireless LAN and Bluetooth devices together, then the Bluetooth devices may be slowing down wireless transmission speeds and other processes?  Cheers - FSBill

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html