Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT for Web 2010

Copper Super Contributor

ACT for Web 2010

Some thoughts and curious as to others thoughts.  Submitted respectfully.  I just want ACT for Web to get better! 

I’d like to convert the 30% or so Sales Force customers that churn each year to ACT for Web and or Sync.  Problem is that ACT for Web is still buggy and there are some show stoppers that I just experienced and had to convert over to Sync model.

I could ignore custom tables but they are hot in the marketplace along with dashboards.  At this point I can do basic ACT hosting but have to leave custom tables to sync environment as the bug is not present there.

Here are the ones I've experienced recently with one client:

- For Custom Tables with Simulatenous Users Logged-In, Record Manager of First Logged In User stamped on New Records Created by Second User.

- Log-off issue, usually every 20 minutes but in some cases every 2 minutes.

- Look Up does not contain selected field values so have to select again.

There are other logged defects and Feature Requests that I have not experienced yet but I've heard about them.

As interconnected as the world is now I’m reasonably certain that people will hear about  the shortcomings of ACT for Web if they have not already.  Of course I’m optimistic that the issues will be addressed but market share will continue to slip away until then. Do SalesForce clients churn because of contracts, cost or did they leave because of web interface limitation?  My bet is that it is the former and MSCRM is a substitute product that also Syncs like ACT.  Yes is does cost 2x as much and does more, is harder to use and folks may not need all the bells and whistles.   

There-in lies the opportunity for Sage and ACT for Web and Sync option to fit the market gap.  SalesLogix cloud will be head to head with SalesForce and MSCRM at a similar to higher price level based on what I’ve seen so far.

PF

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT for Web 2010

pf,

I know the frustration. Sage have let ACT! Premium for Web slip back in fundamental areas that need to be addressed. I believe the problem is in the design concepts. It performs more like a plugin to ACT! than it does a native web application. There are some fundamental difficulties in the way the application handles dll files for instance, making it difficult to build plugins that will run across different versions. It seems unduly complex in design. That may be why it has less than lightening-speed response times.

From a marketing standpoint it isn't promoted to the same extent as Premium, from what I have seen there is no dedicated brochure for the product. Seems that product positioning has been to focus on Premium and leave Premium for Web as a secondary option. Why isn't there an ACT! Premium for Web community group when we still have an ACT! version 6.0 and Prior?

I agree with you. Sage needs to stop treating it as an appendage and get focused on bringing it up to speed to compete in an ever growing online CRM marketplace.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

pfernald wrote:

Here are the ones I've experienced recently with one client:

- For Custom Tables with Simulatenous Users Logged-In, Record Manager of First Logged In User stamped on New Records Created by Second User.

This sounds more like an issue with the product you use to create the custom tables not detecting the user in the shared environment. Would most likely have the same issue on Terminal Services or Citrix

- Log-off issue, usually every 20 minutes but in some cases every 2 minutes.

There are both settings in ACT! for Web and IIS that you need to adjust to change this. The 20 minute default (in both ACT! and IIS) is usually accepted as best practice for a web application security and resources. Some sites want this shorter, some longer. For most it's about right.

- Look Up does not contain selected field values so have to select again.

Not sure what you mean?

There are other logged defects and Feature Requests that I have not experienced yet but I've heard about them.

This will be the case with every software product

Bronze Elite Contributor

PF,

When you refer to record manager, is it the record manager for only a particular new record type or any record, e.g. Contacts, Companies History items?

The default time out is set to 20 minutes it can be changed in the web administration tool in ACT! Premium for Web. If there is a problem with log out occuring intermittently at much shorter intervals it appears that is a reported issue with no resolution yet. We run ACT! Premium for Web 2010 but haven't noticed a problem. Never noticed it in 2009 either. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Super Contributor

Using Top Line Designer,

ACT! for Web bug.  Been reproduced right in front of a Sage.  It occurs when two users log into ACT! for Web.  Here’s how it works: 1.       User A logs into ACT! for Web.2.       User B logs into ACT! for Web.3.       User B creates a record using the ACT! SDK.  Everything works fine.4.       User A create a record using the ACT! SDK.  All new records are logged as User B since User B logged in last. This occurs for records created in the Custom Tables. PF 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Super Contributor

In custom table, the activity that is logged there has the wrong record manager by it.  So imagine mirroring your clients business process and creating a custom table where they enter record information by occurance suited to their industry.  Could be project management, ticket tracking, etc.  Wrong record manager is stamped on the created record.  Then magnify with multiple users.

PF