Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT for WEB V16 after 31st December

Accepted Solution Solved
Silver Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT for WEB V16 after 31st December

Given the announcement about the change in licencing and the ceasing of registering new installations of earlier versions of ACT can you explain how this will affect installations of the WEB version.

We have clients who use the WEB version on their own server for the users to work with ACT.

I believe there is a mechanism within ACTs web version that periodically checks the validation of the licence. If I am correct how will this impact WEB users of earlier versions of ACT and in this particular case ACT V16 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎12-01-2018 05:24 AM
Employee

Re: ACT for WEB V16 after 31st December

Hello,

If you have a perpetual licence for the web v16 it should not call home.

-Carl
Act!  Support
Growth made easy.
CRM & Marketing Automation built for small business success.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

Hello,

Yes, it will impact t the physical server Act! 16 is installed on

An embedded third-party software component of Act! that facilitates licensing services is being discontinued by the manufacturer at the end of 2018. Read the full statement here.

As of January 1st, 2019, customers on Act! version(s) 7 to 17 will no longer be able to:

• Install Act! on new machines
  • Re-activate Act! on existing machines
  • Modify your user count
  • Make key modifications to existing machines (eg. Motherboard swap, network card swap)

If you make any of the changes listed above, your Act! product will fail to re-activate and you will lose access to the software completely.

Act! versions 17 and earlier are considered unsupported versions, please refer to the obsolescence policy for your region below:

Carl Mag
Act! Support

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Carl and thanks for your response.

I am aware of the affect on the standard act installations but my question is specifically about ACT for WEB installations that contain the APFW Licencing software which I believe checks the validity of the licence. If I am right how is this loss of the licensing going to affect those who use the web version of ACT.

Silver Contributor

I have been asked if the standard answer for installed versions of ACT answers my question - It clearly does not!

Please could we have a response on how the ACT for WEB licencing for those connecting via the internet is going to be affected with the loss of the licensing response on users connecting.

The way that ACT & Protexis handle this is very different to the licensing of the installed versions of ACT and users deserve an answer.

Questions on ACT for WEB for ACT V17 and Older

How are older versions of ACT for WEB going to be affected for users who connect via the internet?

Will they suffer an immediate loss of service and if not how long will it work?

Will they suffer a delay in connecting while ACT for WEB tries to authenticate via Protexis the licence?

Bronze Elite Contributor

I have always understood that the licence system for Act is no different in Act! Premium for Web as it is for the Windows accessed product. Act! Premium for Web is simply a web interface for Act! Premium, if the hosted installation on the server is v17 or prior the same applies, i.e an upgrade will be required of Act! on the hosting machine.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Thank you for your reply but I regret I believe you are wrong as when a user logs onto ACT via the web portal it does a call to Protexis.

On a test with ACT V17 ACT for WEB as an example when a user connects with ACT for WEB via a browser the Protexis system makes a call to 207.97.197.145 (protexys licensing). The first problem if it cannot connect is it can delay the log-on connection of between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.  

What the long term impact of no response from Protexis will be is what I am trying to get from Swiftpage who are not responding to the question.

I am looking for an official statement from the Swiftpage support staff as we need to know so we can best advise clients who have systems older that ACT V18 who use the WEB version of ACT via the internet.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Interesting, I've never bothered to check that, however it is still an install of Act! Premium for Web as a Windows application that is the host and the and the requirements that Protexis license system has of the Windows installation i.e. Pro or Premium will still apply and the impact will be the same.      

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I am after is an official  response from Swiftpage as the impact on people who connect via the web for unpatched ACT for WEB is not covered in the announcement and I am not alone in thinking the impact for these people has not been included as it is the elephant in the room syndrome.

This is what appears to happen if APFW cannot contact Protexis for 30 days -

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33050/~/error%3A-you-have-not-connected-act%21-to-the-inte...

Would be delighted to be wrong but need Carl or someone from the Swiftpage Team to answer this.

Silver Contributor

Carl, please answer the question regarding loss of licence for user who connect via the web.

The lack of response is not in keeping with your normal helpfulness.

Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎12-01-2018 05:24 AM
Employee

Hello,

If you have a perpetual licence for the web v16 it should not call home.

-Carl
Act!  Support
Growth made easy.
CRM & Marketing Automation built for small business success.