Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT for MAC !!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT for MAC !!!

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any current plans to develop a version of ACT! for the Mac operating system. And, yes the HTML5 client would require internet access to sync with the cloud server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Then the only solution I have is to go to your rivals... As a mobile user which does not need an internet connexion to work with my client database when I'm on the move, I'm NOT interested in a solution which requires an internet connexion.

I'm sorry we could not help and hope you find the solution you are looking for.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted

I really don't understand the strategic choice to force mobile users to have an internet connexion to use the software. I can imagine that having the database in a centralized place is a smart idea, but it would be much clever (in my own opinion) to have a software that can run without internet on the database which is locally copied, AND a synchronization tool to synchronize the local database with the central database when it become accessible... Could you explain why this HTML5 choice was made ?? What are the advantages of having this instead of an installed software which synchronizes with a centralized database when possible ? Don't care about Mac users, ok. But please don't tell that this is the solution that Sage designed for Mac...
Employee

The true advantage to the HTML5 offering is platform independence. Internet connectivity at this point in time is all but ubiqutous for the majority of people, with that being the case, browser based technologies allow you to break free of the old Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux paradigm and have an offering that's available to you regardless of your operating system.

A secondary advantage is resources. Browser based access means that client PC's require virtually no resources but are still able to run very powerful technologies by offloading the work to a server PC better fit for the task.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

So for using your future version on a Mac, we will have to buy Sage HTML5, to rent a server and to have a internet connexion _everywhere_ we want to work... Do you really think that is an acceptable answer to the MacOS community of professionals ? Hum...

The HTML5 client is actually targeted to mobile device users, including iPhone and iPad. More and more businesses and business professionals are moving away from primary use of desktops and laptops over to pads and smartphones - this is the intended market for the HTML5 client, now and going forward.

Greig Hollister

I'm not talking about the adequation of HTML5 with mobile devices... I'm taking about the Sage strategy which consists in ignoring the MacOS users which would like to work without having everywhere an internet connexion...

Well, I have to stop here to use Sage... I'm migrating to your rivals until (maybe) Sage provides a tool for dealing with my local offline database on MacOS !

[ Edited ]

You can run ACT! with a local database on a MAC by setting up a virtual PC machine onlyour MAC. At least one of the third party VM programs allows you to have the MAC OS and the virtual PC machine running at the same time.

[Edit: Some content removed per Community guidelines]

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

I am currently using a Macbook Pro (Lion), running Parallels 7 (VM) with Windows 7 Ultimate.

My expirience has been absolutely WONDERFUL. First, there is nothing better than using a Mac. Never had a "blue screen" or any other issues. Funny thing is that my Windows runs better on VM than it ever has on a PC. Not sure why, but true.

My point to this story. I too was looking for a Mac based CRM. I did my research and found what I thought was a reasonable substitute for ACT 2012. I installed the program and used their demo database first. I really did like not having to use the VM and run in "coherence" mode. 

The program did not have half of the abilty of ACT 2012. It kinda-sorta worked about the same,...but it was not the same. After just a few days of using the Mac based CRM program,...I deleted it. ACT clearly is a robust program and has features that other non-cloud based programs do not offer. I am staying with ACT 2012.

Yesterday, I also decided to try ACT Marketing (Switfpage). WOW,..I LOVE THIS. i wish I did this years ago. Well done Sage. 

Ok,..I have to say if Sage did have a Mac program,...I would really love it but I can live with the VM. That my expirience.