Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT fields and formulas

ACT fields and formulas

This formula  ( in a calculated field )

([Client Confidence] + [Incumbent] + [Inter Personal Relationship] + [Level Of Competition] + [Pain Point] + [Past Client] + [Quality of Proposal] + [Will It happen] )

calculates a value of 30 ( exactly as it should based on the input )

This formula ,

(([Client Confidence] + [Incumbent] + [Inter Personal Relationship] + [Level Of Competition] + [Pain Point] + [Past Client] + [Quality of Proposal] + [Will It happen] )/ 40 )

Should calculate a value of .75 ( which it does not do ) the only difference is the / 40 and the brackets. I made sure the field is a decimal.

I checked the validity its ok, It tried with and without brackets

What did I do wrong in the formula

Administrator

Re: ACT fields and formulas

What value is being calculated?

The outermost set of brackets should not be necessary - the way I imagine it should be written would be:

([Client Confidence] + [Incumbent] + [Inter Personal Relationship] + [Level Of Competition] + [Pain Point] + [Past Client] + [Quality of Proposal] + [Will It happen] )/ 40

[ Edited ]

Hello Jon and thanks for the reply

The fields have a maximum value of 5 and as such the total of all fields ( there are 8 ) is 40. The second order of operation is to take the 40 and divide it by 40 which returns a decimal value somewhere between 0 an 1. In the example provided the first order of operations is working correctly and in this case adding up to 31. The second order of operations where we divide ( sum operation 1 ) / 40 is not working. 

I have tried with and without brackets . Untitled.jpg

The three " success "  calculated fields are attempts with and without brackets . 

Administrator

When you say it's not working, what value is it returning?

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

JonTaylor wrote:

([Client Confidence] + [Incumbent] + [Inter Personal Relationship] + [Level Of Competition] + [Pain Point] + [Past Client] + [Quality of Proposal] + [Will It happen] )/ 40

I would agree.

That is how i would write this formula

Administrator

Try simplifying the equation to just two fields, and see if it executes correctly. If it does, gradually add the other fields until it breaks. It may be that one particular field is causing the issue.

If it doesn't work with even just two fields i.e ([Client Confidence] + [Incumbent])/40 then we know there's something going wrong with the actual calculation in the database.

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jon, Perhaps I'm not explaining this correctly. There is no problem with the SUM portion of the equation. It executes correctly regardless of the number of fields. The problem is taking the sum # / 40 that isn't working. Is it possible that nested equations simply don't work in ACT!. 

Administrator

I understand the issue, there should be no problem with simple nested equations. That's why I recommend simplifying the sum portion, and then seeing if you're able to do a simple operation with parenthesis.

I'd also recommend inserting the parenthesis by double clicking on them in the 'parameters' box, and not typing them. Just in case for some reason it's not recognising them.