Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! fails to open with message 'Please contact admin for help installing ACT!'

ACT! fails to open with message 'Please contact admin for help installing ACT!'

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am new to the ACT! line of products, however not new to supporting Sage products, having currently managed a MAS200 distribution for the last 6 years.  

I have deployed a 5-CAL ACT Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3 on a Windows 2008 box.  This server hosts the file set and the SQL dbase.  I have developed two modes of deployment:

• across the LAN via domain
  • across the WAN via a Citrix XenApp web portal which also resides on the same box.

I am deploying to LAN clients via a network installation.  The bat file I have written for this is not completely silent.  I have deployed to 10 clients within the domain.  8 of these clients, fully patched Windows Vista Business terminals, and even 2 Windows 7 machines, all residing within my domain.

The Citrix web portal works flawlessly. 

The LAN deployments were working fine until yesterday when I attempted to deploy to three new domain clients (all Windows Vista Business terminals). The installation processes completed without a hitch.  No errors reported.  It was when I attempted to launch ACT for the first time on these machines that I recieve the message "Please contact admin for help installing ACT!"  At this point when you click OK on this message the application closes, so I can't troubleshoot any further.  I can't see how this is a licensing issue, be it as I can't even get to a point where I can open up the PAD file.  And obviously, I am the administrator, so it can't be a user rights issue.

I am dumbfounded as to what has changed.  Has anybody else experienced this or a variation of it?  Does anyone have a remedy?

Thanks,

Ben Turner

Jakes Fireworks, Inc.

Message Edited by ben.turner on 11-11-2009 12:45 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! fails to open with message 'Please contact admin for help installing ACT!'

I would make sure that User Account Control (UAC) has been disabled on these Vista machines, and make sure that the installation is done under a Windows Administrator login.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.