Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT dialer/Windows dialer in WIndows 10

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT dialer/Windows dialer in WIndows 10

Hi,

I am using 17.2.217.0, Hot Fix 2 and Windows 10 on a 64 bit Lenovo W530 laptop that does not have a "phone" jack or internal modem.  I thought that the days of 56kb modems and RJ-11 jacks were long gone!

But no.

I am trying to use the dialer feature.  I can configure it. I know that it uses the Windows 10 dialer. 

I have also configured by Samsung S7 Edge Galaxy to operate as a data modem on 4G or as a remote proxy using the Samsung Side Sync feature.  I can make voice calls from the laptop using the Side Sync, and I can access the internet using the data modem connection.

The ACT! dialer sees the Samsung Modem, but I cannot actually make a voice call.  It looks like the dialer is dialing the number, and I can hit the talk button and the hang up button, but I do not have audio on the laptop speakers or Mic.

So, what is a good solution?  I know that I can get a cheap external modem, but will Windows 10 dialer (this is what the ACT! system uses) pass a voice call?

Otherwise, I am stuck with manually dialing all calls from ACT!. The dialing feature looks great, as it will record the history of the call without a new entry.  But without a telephone set on the RJ-11 of the external modem, it won't work!

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rick7
‎01-05-2017 09:01 AM

Re: ACT dialer/Windows dialer in WIndows 10

Problem is solved.  Ordered a Hiro external modem for Windows 10, plug into USB.  Can dial calls, and talk on the analog phone.  Can record history.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi Rick,

Check out http://actaddons.com. There are a number of third-party phone addons available that offer more functionality than the Windows dialler solution.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rick7
‎01-05-2017 09:01 AM

Problem is solved.  Ordered a Hiro external modem for Windows 10, plug into USB.  Can dial calls, and talk on the analog phone.  Can record history.

Administrator

Great! Thanks for letting us know.

Hi, Rick:

I had a Zoom modem for a long time and it was working with my Dell Optiplex 3020 with Windows 10 Pro and ACT Ver. 18.2.53.0.  All of a sudden, it stopped working.  I found out that people were complaining that when they called my direct number at home (the line I used for the dialer feature in ACT) they were constantly getting a busy signal.  I finally realized that although the headset light on my desk phone went out after the call ended and I hit the Headset Button, the line light stayed on. It used to close the call.  I think Windows had another update and somehow that caused the dialer to stop functioning.

I read about your success with a Hiro modem.  I called Hiro and the tech there suggested one older model that's been on the market for a long time and is thus reliable but I'm not at home and don't have that number.  He said that if that didn't work, I could exchange if for a newer model.  Rather than messing around with the Zoom to see if I can get it up and running, I'd just as soon invest in a new modem particularly since you had success.  Which model did you buy and where?  I think I saw a model H500113 (I'm going from memory and I think it was from an Amazon vendor) for about $20 vs. about $40 from Hiro.

Hi, Gary:

Perhaps I should have directed this query directly to you instead of to Rick7.  I've gotten so used to using the ACT dialer, that since mine stopped working, it SEEMS like SO MUCH work to look at the contact's phone number and then dial it a section at a time!  Following is my issue (modified to be addressed to you:

I had a Zoom modem for a long time and it was working with my Dell Optiplex 3020 with Windows 10 Pro and ACT Ver. 18.2.53.0.  All of a sudden, it stopped working.  I found out that people were complaining that when they called my direct number at my office at home (the line I used for the dialer feature in ACT) they were constantly getting a busy signal.  I finally realized that although the headset light on my desk phone went out after the call ended and I hit the Headset Button, the line light stayed on.  Hitting the Headset buttom used to close the call AND DISCONNECT THE LINE.  I think Windows had another update and somehow that caused the dialer to stop functioning.

I read about Rick's success with a Hiro modem.  I called Hiro and the tech there suggested one older model that's been on the market for a long time and is thus reliable but I'm not at home and don't have that number.  He said that if that didn't work, I could exchange if for a newer model.  Rather than messing around with the Zoom modem (which they no longer manufacture) to see if I can get it up and running, I'd just as soon invest in a new modem particularly since Rick had success.  I asked him in a reply but haven't heard back as yet.  Do you know which model he bought and where?  I think I saw a model H50113 (I'm going from memory and I think it was from an Amazon vendor) for about $20 vs. about $40 from Hiro.  I also saw a U.S. Robotics but the associated verbiage seemed to be relating only to it's being used for faxing.

Your recommendation would be appreciated.  I only use the dialer to dial the number and open the phone line via my headset once the number starts ringin as I do not have a microphone on my computer.  Hmm, could I speak to the person I've dialed thru my computer if I had a mic hooked up?  I do have speakers integrated in my monitor. 

Administrator

Hi StuartAG,

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with PC telephony modems, or using them with Act!. An Act! Certified Consultant would be my suggestion for seeking advice on this subject.

Same issue.  Installed Hiro modem today and still does not work.  One call and then the error message on subsequent attempts.