Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT deleting items from Outlook?

Copper Contributor

ACT deleting items from Outlook?

We added a new user today. When we were setting up the Outlook sync, we used the same settings all of our other users have (If the same activity has been updated keep the Sage activity, when activity is cleared from Sage leave the activit for the calendar sync. The first time we synced up with Outlook for the new user, a whole bunch of items from his Outlook calendar got deleted. Looking at the sync progress it looks like 73 items were removed from Outlook.

I'm hoping we can restore his Outlook items, but more importantly, does anyone have any insight as to why this happened in the first place? It didn't happen with any of our other users.

Re: ACT deleting items from Outlook?

Cyane,

The only reason why this would happen would be if someone clicked the Remove Synchronized Activities button, and for some reason those items were listed as being previously synchronized from Act!.  I really only see that when you have multiple users that are on the same windows profile.  Is the new user on their own computer, or does your company share desktops?

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

The new user is on his own computer, with no shared desktop.

We were able to resolve the issue by pulling a backup of his calendar and copying those items over to his current calendar, but I'm still very curious as to how it happened in the first place.

Were these activities originally created in Outlook, Act!, or another program?

Is there any chance that they clicked 'removed synchronized activities' at some point?

Act! doesn't delete items that don't belong to it intentionally.  The only time I've seen this happen is if synching from multiple directions, or if there was already a problem with the Outlook calendar items.  Are you syncing Outlook with anything else, such as a mobile device?  If so, what system are you using to do that sync?  What mobile device is it?

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Copper Contributor

The activities were originally created in Outlook. The deletion of activities happened as I was sitting there setting up the preferences in Act, so no chance of the user clicking anything goofy. During the very first sync the 73 items were deleted.

However I do wonder if I've found a possible cause. This new user was originally set up in February of this year (sync status unknown, but I'm theorizing that he did sync with Outlook at that point). Due to some internal happenings we removed him completely as a user to free up the license for another user.

Now in September we have a license for him. Even with his original profile being wiped and Act uninstalled from his computer for months, would there still be "something" holding on to his information? We set up our Outlook sync to "If the same activity has been updated in Sage and Outlook, keep the Sage activity." Does it stand to reason that somehow Sage was seeing those 73 items as "updated" in Sage (that is, non-existent) and so removed them from Outlook?

Again this is a total guess, but does that fit what you know about the sync behavior within Act?

Depending on the previous sync behavior in Act! I could see how a situation like that might occur for items that happened near that time, but the more recent items shouldn't have been touched.  Ther eare a few files that hold on to a list of Act! activities vs. Outlook activities and vice/versa.  If those files were retained there would be a slight chance for that to happen, but only if at some point the option to delete cleared activities from Outlook was set.

What I mean to say is that your situation is feasible, but outside the norm for Act! and for Outlook.

At this point do you have a way of recovering those lost Outlook items?

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know what the user's settings were back in February, and it's definitely possible that he changed things away from our default of keeping cleared items on the Outlook calendar. I just assumed, apparently incorrectly, that completely deleting the user and uninstalling ACT wiped all the previous settings.

Yes, we were able to recover the lost Outlook items by going onto the server, retrieving the items from an earlier back-up, and then copying them into a new calendar for that user. Once they were perceived as "new" items they synced fine, and have continued to sync since.

Like I said, it was just a very strange situation outside the norm of what we've experienced with Act so far, but I think we've discovered the likely culprit.

Thank you for your help!

I'm going to try and duplicate your issue in a few different ways.  If I can come up with anything strange, I will submit an issue with our product team and try to get it resolved.  Thank you for being so very patient, and having so many details, about this issue.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage

I am having the reverse problem. After sync, ACT activities show up in Outlook but not in ACT anymore. There seems that a one way sync from ACT to Outlook takes place, and then all ACT calendar items are removed.

The only time that Outlook activities will get deleted due to synchronization is if the activity was synchronized from Outlook to Act! and then was later deleted from Act! and then a synchronization takes place after that.  It is very likely that the deletion of the Outlook activities was caused by creating a user, setting up synchronization, then deleting the user, and recreating them again. When you delete a user, the activities essentially get deleted from Act! all together if you didn't reassign the activities to another user, or if you reassign the records to another user, they get altered in such a way that each activity becomes a different activity than what is recognized by the files that retain the information about activities that have already synchronized, so when the same user is recreated on the same machine and synchronizes again, the files recognized that the activities had previously synchronized from Outlook, but that they were no longer in Act!, so they were deleted. 

As for your reversed issue, by design, the program doesn't do a one way calendar sync. To make sure that I'm clear on what you mean by this, do you mean you create an activity in Act! and can see it there, you synchronize the calendar, then it shows up on the Outlook calendar and ceases to exist on the Act! calendar? Or were they activities that previously existed in Act!?

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com