Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT db shared with SQL

Tuned Listener

ACT db shared with SQL

Currently, our setup at work comprises of a web frontend and a sql server backend to collect user information. We had investigated ACT to manage the data from the backend, and I had asked if it can sit atop an existing sql server database. The thought was that as the data is collected from the web frontend and inserted into the database, ACT would be able to view that data and manipulate it, providing we define the layout that the data collected would appear in the ACT interface. The rep on the phone said YES, ACT could do it. So we purchased the product, set it up, and then later find that the rep was wrong - or perhaps I haven't figured it out yet? Right now, on the advice of another rep, we are taking data from the sql server database, converting it into a csv, and then importing it into ACT. Something I had not anticipated, neither efficient. However I am hoping that perhaps the first rep was right, however impossible it appears to be at the moment. Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT db shared with SQL

ACT! can sit on top of an existing SQL Server engine, but must use it's own database.

You can completely automate the transfer of data from your SQL tables to ACT! with the Pro version of itImport - it can read the SQL (without going via CSV) and merge the data into ACT!, even adding activities for staff to act on new or updated information

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the fast reply! Ok, so with that thought in mind, can we create an ACT database, then do internal SQL queries to get the data from the sql server database to the one  that ACT uses? Or, simpler yet, create the ACT database, then redesign the web interface to insert data into that database? Thanks again for the help!

Yes, you could do the queries to bring the data to ACT!.

Redesign the web site is an option, but you'd need use add the ability for it to write via ACT!'s .Net SDK as you can't write directly the the SQL tables

Tuned Listener

Mike,

Thanks for the input. I tried the link but it said it's down for the moment, but i'll be sure to check it later. Here is my plan of attack and see where i need help.

a) create ACT database

-i need more info on this - if it is a SQL database, then i am assuming I can create this database using SQL Enterprise Manager?

b) establish connectivity to this database from ACT that will read / write data

c)on the web form, create an 'import' stored procedure that will copy all the data from the webserver database to the ACT database

Regards,

Louis

Tuned Listener

Ok so I got a chance to view that slideshow. Thanks for the input. So I have searched and am still not understanding the ACT! database creation. Is it created through ACT itself or through an instance of SQL Enterprise Manager / Management Studio? Also too, it seems that the only tools we have that can write to the ACT database is not SQL queries, but itImport or the ACT! SDK? I did not see any mention of an ACT! database being directly mainpulated by an SQL query like 'INSERT INTO act_database (SELECT * FROM web_data)', which would perfectly populate the ACT! database to our needs. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The database is created through the Act application. We do not support write access to the database directly unless it is through the Act UI or SDK. 

Our SQL instance is locked down with an encrypted SA password that would prevent access via Enterprise Manager.