Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! database has gone missing

ACT! database has gone missing

Hello,

I have a customer on ACT! (I believe 2009 AKA v.11.) 

One of the laptop computers was unable to Sync. with ACT! on the file server (using Network Sync.) but he had about a week's worth of data that he needed to be able to reference - so I performed the following procedure:

1. I opened ACTDIAG and detached the database.

2. I moved his entire local ACT! copy & file structure to a folder named OLD1

3. I updated the local .PAD file to point to this new OLD1 location

4. On the server, I created a new replica of the database

5. I moved the .RDB file locally and created the new replica

My plan was that I could use ACTDIAG to detach the new, working database and then double-click the .PAD file in OLD1 to access the old data.  When the necessary data was printed, we could use ACTDIAG to detach the database & reverse the process.

Keep in mind that in ACTDIAG/SQL, both databases would have the same name and they would be unable to be mounted/attached at the same time due to this issue.

The trouble is that my end user, with the new, working database attached/mounted browsed out and double-clicked on the OLD1 .PAD file.  It seems to have made the old copy of the database (.ADF?) file disappear.  The rest of the old file structure remains intact and both .PAD files open the new database.

Can anyone give me  a detailed explanation of what would have happened to the OLD1.ADF file?  Why would it have vanished?  Is there any way to recover it?

Thanks in advance.

-Confused.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! database has gone missing

[ Edited ]

Hello WhiskeyBravo,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The only way that I know of that .ADF would have disappeared is if it had been deleted or possibly overwritten in a copy/paste. Both would require that the file not be attached to SQL. I would suggest looking for it in the recycle bin, or doing search of all the hard drives.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.