Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT crashing due to emails...

ACT crashing due to emails...

Hello,

I have one user who is having an issue with Act! Premium Version 17.2.217.0, Hot Fix 2. When the email address is clicked on in ACT it crashes the application. I have applied windows updates but the issue continues.

This is a Windows 10 Pro machine that is 64 bit. I cannot replicate this error on any other Windows 10 machines in our office. I reapplied the hotfix but got the same result.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: ACT crashing due to emails...

Office 2016 / 365 in use?

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

That is correct

anne error.png

Nickel Super Contributor

The reason is an underlying problem caused by Microsoft last year.

Here are some knowledge base articles covering the topic:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38800

The only solution I know at the moment is to roll back Office to a stable build from April '17 (after having switched OFF automatic updates for Office):  16.0.7870.2038

Switch off Office update inside Office:

1.jpg

Create a batch file "2016_Office_UpdateTo16.0.7870.2038.bat"

with following content:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7870.2038

Run it "as Administrator

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Administrator

Another cause can be administrator privileges, if one program is running 'as admin' but the other is not, you often will get this crash.

I'd recommend either running both Act! and Outlook as admin, or setting them both to not run as admin.

I think I may have made things worse. I tried to uninstall and reinstall but it is asking for an SA password but if I try a blank password it does not work, if I try the true ACT SA password it still does not work. I am stuck at it asking for SA.

Ok I removed all SQL and was able to reinstall. However no I get a different error. The program wont crash but it does throw a very strange error.

Administrator

You likely need to run an Office repair from Programs and Features after reinstalling Act!

To do this, open Programs and Features from your windows Control Panel, select your install of Office and choose Modify > Quick Repair.

Thank you much, I will try that when the employee goes to lunch. My thinking is that when she clicks on the email address in act it should open a email in outlook that has the email address she clicked on. Does that sound right?

Administrator

Yup, that's exactly correct.